Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next   
 Post subject: Re: the post count +1 thread (Music Edition)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:25 pm 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/10/17/superjoints-phil-anselmos-first-longform-interview-since-dimebash

Interesting interview with Phil Anselmo.

That's a little more of what I expected from Phil as far as an 'apology' goes. The Dimebash thing may have hurt him for a time, especially with the younger fans, but barring any further dumbassery, the Anselmo Express should continue on with little problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 pm 
Einherjar

Zakk Wylde and his mutant thumbnail ripping NIB on a Hello Kitty guitar. Ball's in your court now, Iommi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhvFLHIlBs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:48 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Xerath have split up, sadly.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/02/01/xe ... heir-xend/

Decent final song at least.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 am 
MetalReviews Staff

RIP Tony Särkkä. Of Abruptum, Vondur, Ophthalamia. Not much I can really say on a forum that barely anyone reads any more, but I hope he's at peace.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:52 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

http://clrvynt.com/david-hall-metal-op-ed/

Interesting piece.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:48 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:

Interesting piece.

Heard this line before from a million butthurt scene kids who've lost their favorite local band to the "machine." Selling branded couture sunglasses is fucking weak, yes, but making it onto the national scene on the strength of your own merit and playing at festivals all over the world is pretty much the damn dream. I can understand the nerd rage for sacrificing musical integrity in the name of monetary success but this dude is being a total shit heel for dumping on bands that market themselves outside of the music itself. You care waaay too hard, Mr. Hall.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:54 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:

Interesting piece.

Thanks for the link Zad. I think he makes a fair point, but goes too far in trying to be abrasive with his writing style. To me this speaks to the fundamentally inorganic weakness of the American metal scene as compared to the European scene, for at least the past few decades. In many parts of Europe metal was perpetually in the mainstream...no not pop music, but just below that level of popularity. In America metal has wallowed in comparative obscurity, thus fostering the culture where these types of branding machine operations (like the example demonstrated for Deafheaven) were necessary to achieve popularity on the level of say Meshuggah, or even Enslaved.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 am 
Einherjar

North From Here wrote:
Goat wrote:

Interesting piece.

Thanks for the link Zad. I think he makes a fair point, but goes too far in trying to be abrasive with his writing style. To me this speaks to the fundamentally inorganic weakness of the American metal scene as compared to the European scene, for at least the past few decades. In many parts of Europe metal was perpetually in the mainstream...no not pop music, but just below that level of popularity. In America metal has wallowed in comparative obscurity, thus fostering the culture where these types of branding machine operations (like the example demonstrated for Deafheaven) were necessary to achieve popularity on the level of say Meshuggah, or even Enslaved.

I think that speaks more to the hipster sensibilities of bands like Deafheaven than to the American scene as whole. It's not like we're seeing Absu selling used trucks in Dallas or Wolves in the Throne Room giving nature walks in rustic Washington. Maybe I'm a bit sheltered from this kind of BS, but I haven't see anything akin to the Ray-Ban fiasco from the more traditional acts (Metallica excluded!).

To be fair, it's not like the Euro bands haven't had their own overtly commercial self-marketing campaigns: Nergal was once a host on the Polish version of The Voice, Maiden's merch catalogue is almost KISS worthy in it's size and diversity of product, Motorhead have their own brand of beer AND box wine (booze rebranding in particular has become popular as a commercial trend) and Immortal have produced Abbath Snow Globes. Snow Globes...for the love of all that's fucking sacred!!

At any rate, as the long as the music doesn't suffer, I really don't have a problem with bands making an extra buck or two on commercial marketing. The Deafheaven guys screwed up by selling a luxury item branded as a really lame attempt at social reinforcement and then playing the victim when they got called out on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Pretty good rebuttal from AMG.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/grymm-comm ... ing-worst/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 am 
Ist Krieg

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
North From Here wrote:
Goat wrote:

Interesting piece.

I think that speaks more to the hipster sensibilities of bands like Deafheaven than to the American scene as whole. It's not like we're seeing Absu selling used trucks in Dallas or Wolves in the Throne Room giving nature walks in rustic Washington. Maybe I'm a bit sheltered from this kind of BS, but I haven't see anything akin to the Ray-Ban fiasco from the more traditional acts (Metallica excluded!).

To be fair, it's not like the Euro bands haven't had their own overtly commercial self-marketing campaigns: Nergal was once a host on the Polish version of The Voice, Maiden's merch catalogue is almost KISS worthy in it's size and diversity of product, Motorhead have their own brand of beer AND box wine (booze rebranding in particular has become popular as a commercial trend) and Immortal have produced Abbath Snow Globes. Snow Globes...for the love of all that's fucking sacred!!

At any rate, as the long as the music doesn't suffer, I really don't have a problem with bands making an extra buck or two on commercial marketing. The Deafheaven guys screwed up by selling a luxury item branded as a really lame attempt at social reinforcement and then playing the victim when they got called out on it.

We've had this very same argument on Europe vs NA a couple years ago so I doubt our opinions moved at all since. Enslaved have won the Norwegian Grammy multiple times, Mayhem won, Emperor were nominated--can you name any sort of post 80s USA equivalent? Maybe it is more a Scandinavian thing, or specifically a Norway thing, but I find it implausible to suggest that real metal is as far from the mainstream there as it is in the US.

Anyway, I agree with your last paragraph, well said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:31 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I think it might be a special Scandinavian situation, really. Black metal is part of the national culture and a reason for tourism to Norway - the mayor of Bergen opens Blastfest, for example (although it has been cancelled this year due to low ticket sales, might be due to the Peste Noire issue as much as anything). The British 'grammy' equivalent is called the Brit Awards, and last year the most underground act to win was David Bowie... most metal act to appear was actually Extreme Noise Terror in a collaboration with electronic group KLF, deliberate shock value etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_I0b05zpJ4

The thought of a black metal band coming close to representing Britain at Eurovision, as nearly happened with Norway and Keep of Kalessin, just wouldn't happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 am 
Einherjar

North From Here wrote:
Thrash til' Deth wrote:
North From Here wrote:

We've had this very same argument on Europe vs NA a couple years ago so I doubt our opinions moved at all since. Enslaved have won the Norwegian Grammy multiple times, Mayhem won, Emperor were nominated--can you name any sort of post 80s USA equivalent? Maybe it is more a Scandinavian thing, or specifically a Norway thing, but I find it implausible to suggest that real metal is as far from the mainstream there as it is in the US.

Anyway, I agree with your last paragraph, well said.

Thank ya, sir.

Most of the US Grammy winners have been the classic bands, but Mastodon, Lamb of God and Slipknot have been nominated several times with the 'knotheads actually winning the award a couple of years ago. Not in the same league as their predecessors, but still notable commercially successful acts. Also, couldn't we consider those acts (Enslaved, Mayhem, etc.) to be classic acts of the metal scene in Scandinavia like Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth are here in the US? I wonder how may post-2000s era bands have won for the metal category in Norway over the black metal giants of yesteryear?

However, my argument wasn't that that the American acts held the same mainstream respect as their European counterparts, it was that the US bands weren't turning to corporate marketing as a means to sell their music any more so than what the Euro bands have done now and in the past. I don't disagree at all that metal as a musical genre is more respected in Europe than the US in mainstream pop culture, but I haven't seen a trend of the US acts shamelessly whoring themselves out to get noticed in the public eye, as you suggested.

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Not one for vinyl but this Nokturnal Mortum wooden box thing is very nice:

https://imgur.com/a/m5RDN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:42 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
Not one for vinyl but this Nokturnal Mortum wooden box thing is very nice:

https://imgur.com/a/m5RDN

Dope, but is the record actually worth the dinero you'd have to drop for this fancy "box" set?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://www.amazon.com/T-shirt-Fidgets- ... B071GQ72GQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:52 am 
MetalReviews Staff

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ur-w494000

Dio hologram tour. At least it's with a live band I suppose...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://fischerisdead.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... d-man.html

RIP Martin Ain. Young at 50.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

TIL Kenny G's son is in Imperial Triumphant.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Terrific interview with Horna after their recent US tour and all the antifa drama.

http://www.bardomethodology.com/article ... interview/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next