Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next   
 Post subject: Re: Live Show Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 am 
Einherjar

D.R.I and Cattle Decapitation/Revocation gigs coming up in the fall. :dio:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:14 am 
Einherjar

Megadeth/Meshuggah on Saturday night.

Yet another rainy night with Megadeth at OKC. Made it to the venue right as Meshuggah starting ripping into their opening track. Excellent! The Swedes leaned almost exclusively on their newer material, so those expecting slabs from either DEI or Chaosphere will be disappointed. The band itself was in fine form barreling through a far too short set of polyrhythmic killers with Demiurge and Bleed being personal favorites of the evening. Unlike their last Okie appearance, the 'shuggah's sound mix was sharp and crystal clear with nary a muddled twangy riff in sight. Nicely done, boys.

Meshuggah Setlist
1. Clockworks
2. Born in Dissonance
3. Do Not Look Down
4. The Hurt that Finds You First
5. Violent Sleep of Reason
6. Bleed
7. Demiurge

Megadeth closed out the evening with an incredibly strong career spanning set that had this old thrasher grinning from ear to ear. Dave struggled vocally through a few songs (A Tout le Monde, specifically) but musically the 'deth was as potent as ever. New shredder Kiko Loureiro is a step up from the more robotic Chris Broderick and ripped through 'deth standards like Hanger 18 and Peace Sells like he'd been playing them for years. The new songs played well nestled amongst the classics with Dave making no bones to the crowd about how happy he was to finally win that Grammy. Overall, a solid live performance by an old warhorse that still has a few miles left in the tank.

Megadeth setlist
1. Hangar 18
2. Wake Up Dead
3. In My Darkest Hour
4. The Threat Is Real
5. Skin o' My Teeth
6. Conquer or Die!
7. Lying in State
8. Sweating Bullets
9. Trust
10. Fatal Illusion
11. A Tout le Monde
12. Tornado of Souls
13. Dystopia
14. Symphony of Destruction
15. Peace Sells
Encore: Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

* Didn't make it out for opener Tesseract due to the torrential rains.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:21 am 
Einherjar

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
D.R.I and Cattle Decapitation/Revocation gigs coming up in the fall. :dio:

Inquisition confirmed for September and Wolves in the Throne Room for October. Fall line-up keeps getting better and better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 pm 
Einherjar

Black Dahlia Murder and Suffocation plus support

Solid show from the death metal vets. Frank Mullen's self-imposed exile from touring still blows but the Suffocation was as brutal and ever. A handful of tracks from the seminal Effigy of the Forgotten were very much appreciated by all the olds fucks in the crowd. Never was a big Black Dahlia guy outside of a song here or there but damn did those dudes deliver the goods. Most metal folks either love or hate the band, but their live show is a focused, powerful and relentless assault. Happy to say, this was one of the livelier pits I've been in for quite some time. Anyone on the fence about this tour should definitely check it out if it rolls through your town.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 am 
Ist Krieg

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
Black Dahlia Murder and Suffocation plus support

Solid show from the death metal vets. Frank Mullen's self-imposed exile from touring still blows but the Suffocation was as brutal and ever. A handful of tracks from the seminal Effigy of the Forgotten were very much appreciated by all the olds fucks in the crowd. Never was a big Black Dahlia guy outside of a song here or there but damn did those dudes deliver the goods. Most metal folks either love or hate the band, but their live show is a focused, powerful and relentless assault. Happy to say, this was one of the livelier pits I've been in for quite some time. Anyone on the fence about this tour should definitely check it out if it rolls through your town.

I thought the last Black Dahlia Murder record was sick!!! Didn't go to the show though. Good to hear you had a good time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:39 pm 
Einherjar

Priest, Saxon and the Black Star Riders in April. A must see concert for all the faithful.

Stoked for the new Priest record as well. A mix of the classic sound and the newer, power metally shit so says the Metal God.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 am 
Einherjar

Slayer announce farewell tour with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament and Behemoth in support. Missed out on the Dallas gig (sold out!) but got tix for the OKC show after a second leg was announced w/Napalm Death (thank you, metal gods). We all knew this retirement party was coming, but it'll be strange not having the Slayer around anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 am 
Ist Krieg

Saw Watain and Destroyer 666 tonight! Great Show!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Maiden coming up tonight!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:39 am 
Einherjar

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
Slayer announce farewell tour with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament and Behemoth in support. Missed out on the Dallas gig (sold out!) but got tix for the OKC show after a second leg was announced w/Napalm Death (thank you, metal gods). We all knew this retirement party was coming, but it'll be strange not having the Slayer around anymore.

:dio: :dio:

Go see this show. That is all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:02 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Voivod / Biocancer in a couple of weeks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:00 am 
Einherjar

Cannibal Corpse/Hate Eternal/Harms Way and locals

Solid shit and a lively pit from the old guard. Been too long since I caught a good death metal gig.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Just got tickets for Mgla/Witchfyre/Wode in a couple of weeks. :dio:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Pestilence and a few other guys the week after next. Hope they play more early stuff than reunion stuff, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 am 
Ist Krieg

Hypocrisy next month for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:35 am 
Einherjar

Eyehategod in April and Death Angel in May.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:46 pm 
Karma Whore

Seeing Eyehategod, Sheer Terror, Negative Approach

Full of Hell, Primitive Man

And possibly August Burns Red, Silent Planet, Belphegor, and Dark Funeral when I go to Ohio in May

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:16 pm 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

i bought my tickets for Slayer + Lamb of God, Anthrax, and Obituary in London practically the minute they came out, only to have to fucking sell them last minute because of a family event in Portugal. argh. to be clear, worth it, just... fuck lol.

saw Revocation, Archspire, Rivers of Nihil, and Soreption in December and was just blown away. Archspire were in top form, Revocation too, but the latter didn't play any of my favourite songs sadly. it's astounding that i saw two excellent bands at the top of their game, plus a very solid Rivers of Nihil, in a venue as intimate as the Underworld in Camden (capacity 500 people), for £16.50. i mean, i imagine it's financially quite a struggle for the bands, but as a fan i think it's amazing, considering other people pay £100 to look at Beyonce on a giant screen from the far side of a stadium.

catching The Black Dahlia Murder for the second time on the 11th, and Converge + Terror in July. a bit disappointed with the former - opener is shitty Ingested, ugh - and worried about the latter, as i imagine it'll be full of hardcore dancing dipshits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Azrael wrote:
it's astounding that i saw two excellent bands at the top of their game, plus a very solid Rivers of Nihil, in a venue as intimate as the Underworld in Camden (capacity 500 people), for £16.50. i mean, i imagine it's financially quite a struggle for the bands, but as a fan i think it's amazing, considering other people pay £100 to look at Beyonce on a giant screen from the far side of a stadium.

Absolutely! Underground metal fans are actually incredibly lucky to have such easy and cheap access to so many great bands, who clearly aren't in it for the money. Terrific argument for supporting them at the merch stall, which is often as cheap or cheaper than buying their stuff online, I find. Compare the whole process to trying to buy Radiohead tickets, or even Metallica - managed to for the Worldwired tour, but it was an expensive and painful process...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:07 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
Azrael wrote:
it's astounding that i saw two excellent bands at the top of their game, plus a very solid Rivers of Nihil, in a venue as intimate as the Underworld in Camden (capacity 500 people), for £16.50. i mean, i imagine it's financially quite a struggle for the bands, but as a fan i think it's amazing, considering other people pay £100 to look at Beyonce on a giant screen from the far side of a stadium.

Absolutely! Underground metal fans are actually incredibly lucky to have such easy and cheap access to so many great bands, who clearly aren't in it for the money. Terrific argument for supporting them at the merch stall, which is often as cheap or cheaper than buying their stuff online, I find. Compare the whole process to trying to buy Radiohead tickets, or even Metallica - managed to for the Worldwired tour, but it was an expensive and painful process...

We are damn lucky in that regard, fellas. Will always support the guys out there living like rock 'n roll hyenas and kicking our asses for a mere 20-25 bucks a gig. To be honest, I enjoy the metal far more in a working class dive than in a state-of-the-art arena with all the fancy pyro and shit. The live atmosphere at the larger venues just pales in comparison to the energy generated in a smaller setting.

On a side note, I lucked out on my 'tallica tickets and scored a solid cheap seat for $65. Could have afforded a better section, but I'm not paying more for Metallica than Iron Maiden or Judas Priest out of principle.

Upcoming shows: Flotsam and Jetsam and Death Angel in May. Nile and Terrorizer in December, hopefully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next