Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next   
 Post subject: Re: Live Show Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:12 pm 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:
Goat wrote:
I'll check it out, thanks!

https://www.behemoth.live/

Behemoth and Imperial Triumphant playing in a church two weeks today, if you want to shell out $20 or whatever it is.

Yeah, I see ticketed stream shows becoming popular. I'd rather them be for free and then donate/buy merch, but who knows how many actually do.

It's win-win for the bands; basically taping them rehearse a live set, but with better production values and they can market it as akin to a genuine live experience, which it definitely isn't. No blame to the bands for trying to claw back some earnings in these times, but as someone who doesn't really like "live from quarantine" shows I'm not enthused by this.

Neither am I and will definitely not be paying money for a one-time live-stream "concert". Now, if the bands allowed you to download the show from their website where you could watch it as much as you want, that would be a different story. It would need to be something interesting as well, like a band playing a classic album in its entirety or doing a theatrical production of a concept album. Listening to a one-time rehearsal session at specific hour of the day doesn't merit my hard earned cash. Sorry, boys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:58 am 
Ist Krieg

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
Neither am I and will definitely not be paying money for a one-time live-stream "concert". Now, if the bands allowed you to download the show from their website where you could watch it as much as you want, that would be a different story. It would need to be something interesting as well, like a band playing a classic album in its entirety or doing a theatrical production of a concept album. Listening to a one-time rehearsal session at specific hour of the day doesn't merit my hard earned cash. Sorry, boys.

Agreed. There has to be some incentive, like Vried played in a forest and didn't charge, not sure how Behemoth and co playing in a church qualifies spending $20 after seeing that. Maybe I'm not a typical viewer but I'd rather support a good idea/effort without being forced to buy a ticket.

Enslaved didn't charge and didn't play live, but the production quality was great and they offered fan vote songs on their first show and then they played a full album. Code Orange took the risk of playing live both times (the second time the audio was low unfortunately), hasn't charged, doing their record release show and then an acoustic show with vastly different arrangements (plus an actual MTV Headbanger's Ball preshow with videos). Both bands have put at least one of the two shows on YouTube as well. Oranssi Pazuzu didn't charge for a record release recorded show and it is still on their YouTube. All three have done it the right way and I've supported them.

Arcturus' performance showed another downside of playing live (Vortex was lifeless and messed up some vocals) but at least it is free and still is on Youtube.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:18 am 
Ist Krieg

I spoke too soon. That new Enslaved concert video is now gone. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:53 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Darn it, was saving that! Ah well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:28 pm 
Ist Krieg

Enslaved playing stuff from their new album in about half an hour. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdLMGZCEjL0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Continuing the theme, love you Dark Tranquillity, but I'm not paying €55 for a t-shirt and livestream link.

https://secure.tickster.com/sv/3m8nbcn2 ... oductgroup

€15 for just the stream is still pretty expensive, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:27 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Continuing the theme, love you Dark Tranquillity, but I'm not paying €55 for a t-shirt and livestream link.

https://secure.tickster.com/sv/3m8nbcn2 ... oductgroup

€15 for just the stream is still pretty expensive, I think.

Yeah, a little too much, sorry DT. Seems like paid concerts have prevailed over free ones, Code Orange switched on their last one but at least their deal was much better than this: 2.3 euros cheaper plus an unreleased Japanese cd only bonus track, and the concert itself also included 3 openers, 2 of which weren't bad. Heck for 4 euros more than the DT's t-shirt package I also got the t-shirt, signed poster, and 10 minute zoom chat with the band (extremely nice people btw).

At least DT's ticket link makes it looks like you get a window period of 9 days, which is generous. if it includes rewatches. The lack of info on that is a little surprising given this happens on the 21st, but I'm sure they clarify in the next few days.

For comparison: Metallica's acoustic concert tomorrow clocks in at 15 dollars/12.7 Euros, no extras with a 48 hr window to rewatch. https://nugs.tv/assets/nugstv/metallica.html For 55 dollars/46.6 Euros you get the t-shirt plus an audio download of the concert. Not a good look for Dark Tranquillity when Metallica's package offers more for less than they do. :lol:

Please keep updating this thread with any concert price comparisons/offers because this is fascinating, and I think this will be the only way we'll see concerts for a long while. I noticed many American bands have only been booking European festivals for summer 2021 (forget booking at home right now) so far...but given Covid's situation in Europe currently I'm not convinced Europe will resume concerts any faster than the US.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:02 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/king ... xqPmLHmtFE

King Crimson are touring the US currently, and Tony Levin's little photojournalist side-hobby always makes for charming viewing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 pm 
Ist Krieg

Shame about Belew. Time is short, will he and Fripp make up?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:23 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:

Apparently they did make up a few years ago?

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-cr ... ian-belew/

That he's not in the current KC lineup is a sign of something, but then JJ is a very good replacement if not perfect, and it would seem harsh to push him out. Maybe things just didn't line up perfectly.

BTW, apologies for not linking more quarantine live shows as you requested a couple of posts back! I did quickly lose interest in them, and now live shows seem to be happening again in both UK and US (went to a classical gig the other day with new lady, and am off to see Bruce Dickinson's spoken word gig Wednesday) it seems superfluous despite dreaded delta variant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:10 pm 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
BTW, apologies for not linking more quarantine live shows as you requested a couple of posts back! I did quickly lose interest in them, and now live shows seem to be happening again in both UK and US (went to a classical gig the other day with new lady, and am off to see Bruce Dickinson's spoken word gig Wednesday) it seems superfluous despite dreaded delta variant.

The Bruce spoken word gig should be a hoot! I plan on attending live shows as well, in spite of the renewed vigor of the plague. The fall lineup in my area is already looking solid and with mask mandates at all shows (plus the Moderna jab for my part), I am confident that I shall live to rock another day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:28 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:

Apparently they did make up a few years ago?

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-cr ... ian-belew/

That he's not in the current KC lineup is a sign of something, but then JJ is a very good replacement if not perfect, and it would seem harsh to push him out. Maybe things just didn't line up perfectly.

Maybe. I was still under the impression that Adrian really wanted back in and while they patched up the differences there were lingering reasons why he wasn't in the current lineup. So I suppose they have made up but hope they will make up enough to get on stage again while they still can.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:
Maybe. I was still under the impression that Adrian really wanted back in and while they patched up the differences there were lingering reasons why he wasn't in the current lineup. So I suppose they have made up but hope they will make up enough to get on stage again while they still can.

Yeah, it's definitely a reunion that should happen while relevant people are still around.

Bruce D's spoken word show was pretty good although it did cover a lot of ground covered by his recent book, so if you're saturated there and aren't into English dad/boomer humour then you probably should give this a miss... Otherwise, a fun evening, especially if, like me, you've missed live shows to the point of being willing to see anything! A few interesting points, mainly from the Q&A at the end - re Bruce's cancer treatment and hip replacement (the latter of which was new to me), his vocal warm-up showcase (part of Revelations, which wasn't up to the original but sounded great for latter-day BD), the confirmation of the existence of a new solo album (held up by Biden's completely ridiculous Europe ban), stories of fake bombs and very pregnant Somali women on his commercial flights, and that he loves Sons of Anarchy and has been doing some writing for a new project with the creator of that. Also apparently Senjuku is great, but he would say that!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:02 am 
Ist Krieg

On Sept 24th I made the journey across the state of Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh to see my first concert in forever.
I was very lucky: as opposed to the usual cadre of okayish, energetic, and ultimately unmemorable metallic hardcore bands that open Code Orange shows, there was a special treat for this home opener in Dying Fetus, one of the first death metal bands I bought a record from, some 20 years ago.

Handpicked by the left side of Code's brain, Reba Meyers, the Dying Fetus inclusion was likely made to motivate the headliner to prepare for their upcoming tour with Slipknot, and also reflect that much of the band loves death metal, hardcore purist fans be damned. Dying Fetus has to be one of the best, most professional, cleanest sounding live death metal bands in history. As primary support they entirely made up for the weak trio that went on before them.

Year of the Knife are the standard metallic core band that usually opens these shows. Energy and enthusiasm, not much talent or vision, only one speed.

Machine Girl's set I skipped entirely and talked outside to people about the metal vs hardcore worlds and listened to a lot of rants about Covid. :lol:

Show Me the Body at least has more than one speed, and feature mandolin play. Still they strike me as just ok. Skipped half the set for the outside comfort of conversations about government conspiracies and the nostalgic smell of cheap weed.

Finally ready for the two bands I came to see, I found a spot in the left corner as close the pit without going in, which also afforded me a clear line of sight on the bands. Perfect for old me.

Dying Fetus generate a massive yet precise sound from three guys, a true power trio. Code has opened for them before in the past and getting an equal sized and much older band to open for them might have been awkward, but John Gallagher was totally invested in being there, in talking to the crowd, and the crowd was mostly into his band. Afterwards I talked with a few people who had seen them before and who said they never miss a beat, they are a true live machine. Their sound guy must be fantastic because their is no comparison to some other death metal favorites like Nile who sometimes mix quite muddy.

Anyway, the mutual respect between bands like Dying Fetus and Code Orange across generational and scene lines is always nice to see.

CO was also very good but not quite the well-oiled machine of their predecessor. They have a lot of moving parts in their sound and the mix wavered early on before clearing up, also they were integrating a new live drummer, Mike Portnoy's son Max. The band's right side brain, Jami Morgan, also gave his first live performance in front of a crowd as a frontman, and the result was mixed. His enthusiasm was off the charts and often his crowd banter was great but without having to drum too he was clearly lacking enough to do and tended to overvocalize and drown out some of the instrumentals. I hope he learns to tone it down and pick his spots because they have such a massive and diverse sound that stands on its own, while their stage energy is unsurpassed.

As the concert ended my Oranssi Pazuzu shirt got a few compliments for representing such a great band, and I wrapped up the night by meeting some people I had only known online before. Definitely worth the wait :dio:

PS: Covid report, no vax or mask mandate per the venue (Live Nation owned). Some musicians had insisted on requiring it during September concerts anyway but CO did not. Since October most of the big venues in the USA, including Live Nation, have switched to proof of negative test or vax for entry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:09 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Sounds like a good show! Dying Fetus have been on my to-see list for a while, particularly after seeing Suffocation with John on vocals a few (jesus, 2013, time flies!) years ago, and I'm curious about Code Orange - like you say, lots going on, it doesn't seem like it would be a great live mix without an expert mixer to hand. I'm always strangely fascinated by drummer's sons who drum - I wonder if they/Max ever had another career as an option? Came to mind when watching Genesis recently, Phil Collins watching his son Nick fill the role he'd once held and couldn't any more. Sobering, the onset of age and frailty...

Anyway! Skipped Winterfylleth this past Monday as was exhausted but slightly regretting it now. Local boys but they don't play live that often that I've seen. Still, will surely come around again. Nothing coming up that I'm aware of but quite a few big tours finally happening next year over here - Tool, Ozzy with Judas Priest, Dark Tranquillité, Discharge, Magma! Very little notice paid to covid, officially you need a vax pass but they were only doing spot checks at Genesis, the biggest gig I've been to lately. No real mask mandates here, either - they're officially required on public transport and indoor events but that's generally ignored except by the type of people who wear them outside. We've not had a forum Covid thread, have we?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 am 
Ist Krieg

It does seem like famous drummer's sons are uniquely predestined, like Bonham's son during that very brief Led Zeppelin reunion. Nice to read you have some big tours coming, hope you get to a few! Some of those summer festivals in Europe are looking monumentally large considering how they've missed two years straight now.
'Red states' here in the USA have been very attractive touring destinations this fall. Friend of mine who lives out in Oklahoma saw the first Gojira US tour show, I told him he would be underwhelmed by Knocked Loose and he wasn't disappointed :lol: He's going to the Slipknot show in Dallas next weekend for CO and the headliner. I'm eyeing the Meshuggah and Converge tour in February.

And no we haven't had a covid thread on the forum. Generally speaking most people here seem to be like people you observe across the pond, just a general fatigue with masks and greater willingness be in more risky situations. The 'masks off during eating' exception seems to be an effective way to get around any strict indoor interpretation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:02 pm 
Karma Whore

Some local hardcore bands tonight and in a few weeks
Eyehategod/Ringworm the 12th in Canton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:20 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Marduk/Vader and others tonight. I Am Morbid are playing next month with Belphegor and Hate, more inclined to go for the support than the main, but then I did see Morbid Angel when they were touring with Dave Vincent a few years ago and they were terrific, so...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:26 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Marduk/Vader and others tonight. I Am Morbid are playing next month with Belphegor and Hate, more inclined to go for the support than the main, but then I did see Morbid Angel when they were touring with Dave Vincent a few years ago and they were terrific, so...

Great, hope you had a good time. I've seen a few recentish Morbid Angel live performances, with and without Vincent, and they were both great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:27 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Uriah Heep tickets booked :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next