Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

Post subject: Re: Old Bands you just don't enjoy like you used to
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:49 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Thirded on Slayer going at the right time. I need to revisit their last couple of albums but they definitely felt by-the-numbers at the time.

Quote:
I may be in the minority, but I thought 72 Seasons sounded the most inspired Metallica has been in years. Hetfield's vocals are fantastic, the riffs are groovy as hell and Lars' drums don't sound like tin cans anymore. Hammett is out of ideas for sure and many of the tracks should have been trimmed down, but it's definitely not a dud either.

It's comfortably solid after one listen, enjoyable enough as its on but nothing really memorable or that stands out except Lux Aeturna because it's short and relatively catchy. The rest really is badly in need of editing, and it does seem to me to lack catchy numbers like Hardwired had (Atlas Rise, Moth into Flame, Spit Out the Bone, hell even the slower ones like Confusion and Here Comes Revenge) or any sense of dynamics. Agreed that Hetfield's vocals are great, though. Need more time with it overall but it does feel soulless to me so far - compare and contrast with the new Overkill, out on the same day...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:06 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Yeah, it didn't grow on me unfortunately... rather the opposite!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:23 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:

Yep, I have no plans on revisiting it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:26 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:

Fair enough. On a similar note, new Overkill still hasn't grown on me. Feels like they're rehashing material from earlier, more memorable albums. It's solid enough but I expect steady excellence from the Jersey Wrecking Crew. With Metallica, anything even remotely competent is a welcome sigh of relief. But I do agree with the consensus point, Seasons is definitely a downturn from the more consistent Hardwired and not worth revisiting terribly often, if at all for some.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:54 pm 
Metal King

I think I enjoy my favourites more than ever. Bands such Rush, Sabbath, Maiden, Tool, and numerous others, it is certainly the case that my pleasures have deepened further without any major diminishing.

I have expanded my taste much further into Jazz territories and classical (but this has been the case for a very long time) but I don't think just because I listen to certain astonishing classic Jazz artists that I would completely dismiss a metal band such as Metallica, at least as far as early Metallica is concerned.

This is very common and quite regular that music enthusiasts most frequently after being exposed to certain classes of other music older bands simply become irrelevant and so this is quite natural. But If I were to commit to that I would have very little to listen to and would grow weary of all it and my taste would become so specialized that many other kinds and types of music would fall off the cliff very easily. It must said that the act of dismissal cannot be entirely voluntary, either.

Taught By The Heav'nly Muse To Venture Down
The Dark Descent, And Up To Reascend...

The Great English Poet: John Milton