Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Post subject: Thoughts on Samael?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:36 am 
Ist Krieg

Been listening to a lot of their back catalog recently and wonder: Were they actually good? Definitely midpaced and groovy for 'black metal', I can't get through anything more electronic based from Passage onwards--crazy as Passage was one of the first albums I downloaded on Napster way back in 2001. Even Ceremony of Opposites has a lot of filler, some really good tracks on Blood Ritual though.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Samael?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I need to relisten to some of the later stuff, but I think a lot of the industrial-era stuff has aged badly, whether due to production choice or otherwise (compared to the likes of DHG and Abigor's experiments, for example, although I am biased there...!). In Samael's defence I think they were one of the first groups to really embrace it as a post-black direction so had the early adopter problems - Kovenant's SETI wasn't out until '03, for instance. Everything up to and including Ceremony of Opposites is at the very least solid if not downright classic - it came out, what, two weeks after Transilvanian Hunger? - and they were very forward-thinking and should be recognised as influential...

The downside of that is that it's very much to their detriment that they got stuck in the industrial rut, which I don't think has produced much that's particularly good after Passage/Eternal...? particularly when you look at other groups like Havoc Unit. I can't remember even listening to their last album, Hegemony, but I should give their discography another go overall - good thread!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:56 pm 
Ist Krieg

I've had some good times listening to Samael but I don't listen to them very often. Solar Soul has some good tracks on it. I used to listen to their black metal stuff a little bit but it was never something I had to keep coming back to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:07 pm 
Ist Krieg

I think I agree with both of you generally. Samael's industrial stuff is basically just pop/rock unlike DHG or Abigor who were obviously doing a lot more, so it doesn't age particularly well. Solar Soul was one I liked for a minute too husker. Ceremony (and Blood Ritual) has some great groovy tracks, without sounding like Celtic Frost as you'd expect, so I guess they do deserve credit for developing their own style. Maybe that's why I brought them up because they were definitely unique, even if they weren't great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:32 pm 
Ist Krieg

Went back and listened to Worship Him. Definitely more Celtic Frost here than later on, but not annoyingly so. On a track like Morbid Metal :lol: they speed it up which provides some nice contrast.