Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

Post subject: Artwork : Welcome To Hell
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 am 
MetalReviews Staff

This section is dedicated to propose metal bands with original and affordable artwork for their albums / demo / other projects. The images shown here can easily be bought for your projects / albums. If you're interested by any of the images in this forum, then don't hesitate to send me an email.

The forum format was used so that metalheads around the globe can give their opinions about the artwork displayed here. Constructive comments and critics will be highly appreciated ! Wherever you like it or hate it, please let us know why.

First of all, sorry for the long time between posts... I've been busy BIG TIME, moving to a new place, finishing artworks for three new albums (Hubi Meisel - Kailash, Furia - Kheros & Winters Bane - Redivivus) as well as other things in the pipeline. This image is not 100% finished, it needs some polishing (the bone bridge for one) but I can say its near complete... Hope you'll like it.

Artwork by Chris alias Saiyan (Manticora, Steel Prophet, Hubi Meisel,...)
More artwork here : Music Artwork
3D characters, backgrounds, poses & tons of other Poser packs (including freebies) here : The K Team website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:24 am 
that's actually quite good... I see you used the devil character from the movie "Legend"... good choice ! :D

Post subject: looks like...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 am 
MetalReviews Staff

T.I.E. wrote:
that's actually quite good... I see you used the devil character from the movie "Legend"... good choice ! :D

Thanks. Yes I used a model that looks like him, but its a 3D model :). I love that movie BTW :D.

Chris

Post subject: Re: looks like...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:45 am 
Chris@MetalReviews wrote:
T.I.E. wrote:

Thanks. Yes I used a model that looks like him, but its a 3D model :). I love that movie BTW :D.

Chris

so do I ! :D

check out this movie too
for more power metal ideas ! :wink:

Post subject: seen it
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Thanks, I've seen it a long time ago but it won't hurt rewatching :)... I also loved Labyrinth (with D. Bowie) when i was little... not sure I'd like it so much nowadays but I'll watch it anyway I think.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:05 pm 
I really don't like it, this is probably your worst effort ever. There are lots of inherent flaws in the composition which make it seem as if you just threw some ideas together. The red devil character looks like the ghost from Disney's Aladdin, and his horns appear to be made of chocolate. Really, you should document yourself a little more; computer generated 3d models will not do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:15 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I'm afraid I agree on the issue of the devil. His horns are so outsized as to be completely ridiculous; they'd tear his skull apart. In addition, his ears wouldn't actually work; they're on the horns. His face, too, is a little silly; maybe if you'd made it less anthropomorphic, he'd look less...hm...well, I wouldn't say constipated, but less silly. I think it's the combination of the enormous chin and the bit of skin that sticks over the horn on the opposite side; it makes the face look off-kilter (not to mention I don't think he'd have that much skin on his horns anyway). The bone-bridge, while a great idea, lacks something in the texture; the bones look too perfect and smooth. Bones have imperfections in them, they're porous. Especially if they've been exposed to heat for awhile, and the pores start to open up (I collected bones when I lived in Arizona, so I'm at least familiar with what they do in the desert. :P ) I'm also not a fan of how they fit together; again, the notches look too perfect, like the bones grew into the bridge, rather than being harvested from damned souls or something. Lastly (I promise, last criticism!) the teeth of the skull-cavern look too much like the bone; teeth tend to bleach and become almost perfectly white.

Ok, on to the good stuff. As I said, I love the idea of the bone-bridge, and the composition, apart from the texture, is great. The placement is nicely random, and it doesn't look like you used the same model over and over again (which I know tends to happen in CG stuff). The demons/critters are great, very menacing and nasty-looking. As always, the fire rocks. I also like the pose and placement of the devil, just not the devil itself. The skull-cavern is also great; you got the bone and horns to look nicely weathered.

Overall, I'd say this is one of your weaker pieces, mostly because of the devil. I'm sorry, I'm usually a big fan, but this one just isn't up to your usual standards. Sorry. :cry:

Last edited by Carnifex Umbris on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:26 pm 
A word of advice: turn off your computer and grab a piece of charcoal and a sheet of paper. Start drawing.

My critique is far from dumb.

Post subject: finally some constructive comments without bashing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:29 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Carnifex Umbris wrote:
I'm afraid I agree on the issue of the devil. His horns are so outsized as to be completely ridiculous; they'd tear his skull apart. In addition, his ears wouldn't actually work; they're on the horns. His face, too, is a little silly; maybe if you'd made it less anthropomorphic, he'd look less...hm...well, I wouldn't say constipated, but less silly. I think it's the combination of the enormous chin and the bit of skin that sticks over the horn on the opposite side; it makes the face look off-kilter (not to mention I don't think he'd have that much skin on his horns anyway). The bone-bridge, while a great idea, lacks something in the texture; the bones look too perfect and smooth. Bones have imperfections in them, they're porous. Especially if they've been exposed to heat for awhile, and the pores start to open up (I collected bones when I lived in Arizona, so I'm at least familiar with what they do in the desert. :P ) I'm also not a fan of how they fit together; again, the notches look too perfect, like the bones grew into the bridge, rather than being harvested from damned souls or something. Lastly (I promise, last criticism!) the teeth of the skull-cavern look too much like the bone; teeth tend to bleach and become almost perfectly white.

Ok, on to the good stuff. As I said, I love the idea of the bone-bridge, and the composition, apart from the texture, is great. The placement is nicely random, and it doesn't look like you used the same model over and over again (which I know tends to happen in CG stuff). The demons/critters are great, very menacing and nasty-looking. As always, the fire rocks. I also like the pose and placement of the devil, just not the devil itself. The skull-cavern is also great; you got the bone and horns to look nicely weathered.

Overall, I'd say this is one of your weaker pieces, mostly because of the devil. I'm sorry, I'm usually a big fan, but this one just isn't up to your usual standards. Sorry. :cry:

Now that was constructive... thank you. I will post a version without the devil, maybe it will be more to your liking. Let me know when its up.

One more thing, if you read what I posted under the image, this work needs polishing, ESPECIALLY the bone bridge I said :)... and you're right, the texture is wrong and I'm aware of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:33 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Christ, I can't believe I'm the nice one. I made a girl cry in my creative writing class a couple years ago (not on purpose).

Post subject: oh boy !
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:35 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Slayer Of Kings wrote:
A word of advice: turn off your computer and grab a piece of charcoal and a sheet of paper. Start drawing.

My critique is far from dumb.

>>My current and past studies permit me to speak as if I am right.

I rest my case, you have a god complex my friend... no words you can say will be of any use to me.

As for turning my computer off :

I and I alone have the right to chose which medium I want to use... if you don't agree with my right to chose then stop bugging me and go troll some other topics please.

Post subject: version without the Devil in the back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:56 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Here is another version without the devil in the back... instead there is a face in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:01 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Much better...even if that dog thing does look like it's about to get swallowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:37 pm 
zadsterboombox wrote:
This is fucking hilarious. Go on, call him out, Slayer!

I won't; he saddens me greatly.

The new version is a lot better, but the whole would be much more
effective if you placed the skull and the road of bones in the center. Right now it looks decorative. It looks like a wallpaper with a flaming texture, and some random elements into it. A symmetrical composition will at least give the work the spirit of going somewhere.

If you dare say again that you can't learn anything from me, you are the one being haughty.

Post subject: This is not HELLHEIM !
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:17 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I will not tolerate insults nor smart-ass attitude in this part of the forum. If you can't post CIVILIZED down here, then don't post ! Are welcome to post ONLY people who know how to behave... bad posts will be deleted, and recurring troublemakers banned.

Post subject: Re: This is not HELLHEIM !
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:31 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I will not tolerate insults nor smart-ass attitude in this part of the forum. If you can't post CIVILIZED down here, then don't post ! Are welcome to post ONLY people who know how to behave... bad posts will be deleted, and recurring troublemakers banned.

Gee whiz...you edited out all the cool things I said. And you started the insults.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:55 pm 
Metal King

the horns are terrible in my opinion and they are a diferent color than the rest which is weird. i think the bone bridge would look better if there was like, bone pillars holding it up. or if it was more than one layer of bones thick.

Post subject: Re: version without the Devil in the back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:56 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Here is another version without the devil in the back... instead there is a face in the background.

Better, I think, I was already wondering why there was no faded face in the back in the first version.

I too like the bonepath idea, but I think it would be much more convincing if you made the path less as a sheet, and more 3d. Like with loads of bones under it to make it more solid. A little bit this form:
__
\-/

With some bones stikcing out underneath.

I think the flying creatures look more dynamic than your usual work, but they still seem a tad static and hung, in stead of fying with their own force.

For the early stage the render is in I'd say it's pretty good, but my last advice will be to handle criticism in another way. If someone advices you to turn off the pc, I think it's not that foolish, seen what a lot of people thought to be your best effort so far (the manga character with the flame dragons), was drawn by hand for a large part.

I thought that was one was very good as well.

Post subject: Bones and stuff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I agree, I actually thought about puting bone pillars maybe or make it more consistent...

As for the handling on criticism... I have no problem with constructive one, I have problem when people talk to you by bashing (phrasing) you instead of simply laying out the advice in a civilized manner (like you and others did)... I don't think its too much to ask. As a matter of fact, I'll only get feedback from specialized artwork forums from now on (never had problems b4, never encountered the attitude I got down here)... I don't need nor like what happened here today and I don't care to repeat this. I'm sorry for losing my temper (truly am)... but I still think there's a way to say things, but we're all different and we all have our ideas. Since I don't tolerate certain way of being addressed (that's my problem), I'll just make it easier and painless : by not letting it happen again.

I always wanted a gallery here instead of a forum but I can't code and I don't have the time to try to put it up on my own, at least not for now... but as soon as technically possible, I'll transfer this forum into a gallery within the site.

Thanks for your comments...