Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

Post subject: Nice change of pace this week
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:48 pm 
Metal Servant

Just wanted to comment that I have enjoyed the reviews this week.

I cant put my finger on it exactly, but in the last few months, I seem to have had to sift through piles of crap (aka "Im into music you could never appreciate", non-metal, arrogant, overly verbous) reviews to read something decent.

Keep up the good work. Hope this trend continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:50 pm 
Ist Krieg

I bet 5 bucks he's talking about Misha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:15 am 
Einherjar

Kathaarian wrote:

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:16 am 
I think there are great reviews every week. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:30 am 
Metal Servant

Eyesore wrote:

Me too... just wish I didn’t have to sift through crap to get there.

Kathaarian wrote:

I'm not pointing the finger at any one reviewer at all.

I like broadening my horizons every _once and while_ and hearing about borderline stuff... Same goes for the occasional review in which the reviewer believes himself a wordsmith and writes a virtual novella in pseudo-eloquent babble (yes- that was an mocking example of how that sounds).

Every once a while, both of the above can be refreshing. But week after week of it....

I'm just glad to have a break :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:34 am 
drakanripper wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Well, isn't "crap" subjective? Which reviews do you consider crap? I wouldn't worry about making anyone mad, we play favorites here so you can be negative towards a reviewer and their reviews, people do it to me. So, to whom do you refer?

Quote:
...believes himself a wordsmith and writes a virtual novella in pseudo-eloquent babble ...

I think I know what you mean, I like my reviews to be well-written, but in a simple manner (relatively speaking). I hate reading reviews and get to the end and think, "So...uh...is this good or bad?" I think reviews should be rather straighforward, not dolled up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:40 am 
Ist Krieg

So people don't like hearing things called extravagantly pretentious pseudoavantguarde tech spazzcore?

PS rock sux

PPS. i want to see a reviewer write like a 3 sentence review of an album

Last edited by noodles on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:42 am 
Someone needs to review some LLN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:44 am 
Metal Servant

Eyesore wrote:
drakanripper wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Well, isn't "crap" subjective? Which reviews do you consider crap? I wouldn't worry about making anyone mad, we play favorites here so you can be negative towards a reviewer and their reviews, people do it to me. So, to whom do you refer?

Yeah - I suppose "crap" is pretty subjective. As I said in the last post - its relative to how often and how many... more than to any single reviewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:29 am 
noodles wrote:
So people don't like hearing things called extravagantly pretentious pseudoavantguarde tech spazzcore?

PS rock sux

PPS. i want to see a reviewer write like a 3 sentence review of an album

Rock kicks ass. You're no longer my favorite poster.

I was so tempted to write "NO!" for my review of Man's Evil. I swear. It was going to be a big font and centered. Hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:39 am 
Ist Krieg

Husker wrote:

I think someone will at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:26 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Kathaarian wrote:
Husker wrote:

I think someone will at some point.

But..... I wonder who this "someone" could be?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:00 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I'm sorry not to have been able to have disappointed you with a non-close-minded review for this week, I was on a date this weekend. (Does a date take a whole weekend? Yes in this case it did.) Be sure to take into account that my reviews are not meant for this site, and therefore I take zero offence in whatever the fuck anyone mourns about my reviews being about non-metal. I'm flattered that some people do like my reviews, but I'm not really sure if with pseudo-eloquency you are referring to me. I actually shortened and simplified all of my latest reviews. Please don't continue with the crap like "I'm not reffering to anyone specificly", just give your opinion, you are, sadly, justified to have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am 
MetalReviews Staff

drakanripper wrote:
...same goes for the occasional review in which the reviewer believes himself a wordsmith and writes a virtual novella in pseudo-eloquent babble..

I believe this is referring to me :P

next week I'm going to use the words "Bellicose", "Oeuvre", "Peripatetic" and ummm, perhaps "Riboflavin." maybe all in the same sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:27 am 
MetalReviews Staff

lizardtail wrote:
drakanripper wrote:
...same goes for the occasional review in which the reviewer believes himself a wordsmith and writes a virtual novella in pseudo-eloquent babble..

I believe this is referring to me :P

Oh, may he drown in an eternal pool of shit then. Your reviews are certainly the most interesting and agruably the best I'm able to read on this site. Ofcourse that's just an opinion, but it seems that quite a few would agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:16 pm 
Metal Servant

It is not just you two... but since you both chimed in on the topic. Here is some feedback.

Misha - From reading many of your posts in the forums I found some very interesting music that I like and definitely would have missed before - namely: 65daysofstatic and Thy Catafalque. However - on your actual reviews, for the site called "Metal Reviews", I don’t think it is strange to expect to see reviews on Metal music.

Suggestion:
I know your a vault of Black Metal knowledge... why not impart some of that to us.

Lizardtail - I like hearing about doom metal that I haven’t tried yet. I think that you are a talented writer. That said, your style often ends up distorting and overpowering what you are trying to describe.

Suggestion:
Keep up the Doom!... And if your at all inclined to take some free advice - read the book: The Elements of Style by William Strunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:28 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

drakanripper wrote:
Misha - From reading many of your posts in the forums I found some very interesting music that I like and definitely would have missed before - namely: 65daysofstatic and Thy Catafalque. However - on your actual reviews, for the site called "Metal Reviews", I don’t think it is strange to expect to see reviews on Metal music.

Suggestion:
I know your a vault of Black Metal knowledge... why not impart some of that to us.

Ok, that sounds fair enough. Like I explained before, I don't write reviews for MR, I simply write reviews. If MR wants them on their site, which they let me know, then I'm happy to put them up and discuss them. I'm not going to review black metal, unless it's very special black metal, like Mystic Forest, Klabautamann, Darkspace, or anything in that direction. I'm simply not interested in the rest, thus anything generic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:33 pm 
Sailor Man

This site lacks good death metal.. Review the new Sceptic or something..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:02 pm 
*raises hand shyly*

Um...what do you think of my reviews? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:52 pm 
Ist Krieg

I think we'd have to be paying customers to be savaging the reviewers the way some of us are. I respect the writing talents of most of the folks on the review team, including the posters on the this thread. I'm not usually interested in what Misha and Ken review, but Misha gets a ton of points for recommending Solstafir some time ago and a lot of his old black metal reviews were quite helpful to me. Ken's review just last week of Canopy was interesting and I am thankful he posted the tracks for download. Crast has a good band. And Lee reviews a lot of doom bands I like and his style is refreshing. Sure I have had disagreements with the reviewers and I don't care for some of the stuff they review, but they shouldn't really care anyway.