Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 am

Post subject: Moderators..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:44 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

So, now that Aaron's no longer a modder for the Alternative forum ( :roll: ) who's his replacement? I see Ken's extending his reign of terror from the News forum to the Rock and Power metal ones, and Daniel's got the Goths, what about us alternatives? Will it be a member of the team, or will one of the forumites be upgraded....?

And Ken, if you get offended by that you're an idiot. Wink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:01 pm 
Whoever they choose, I hope he moderates more actively than the rest of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:32 pm 
Ist Krieg

If they're thinking of making somebody a mod, it should be a forum dweller. We're around all the time anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:51 pm 
Karma Whore

Kathaarian wrote:
If they're thinking of making somebody a mod, it should be a forum dweller. We're around all the time anyway.

hmm yeah, but it shouldn't be Zad, he has his own opinion :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:54 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Fingon wrote:
Kathaarian wrote:

hmm yeah, but it shouldn't be Zad, he has his own opinion :roll:

Oh! I didn't mean make me a Moderator, that's not what I meant at all. I wouldn't say no, but that wasn't what this thread was about, just trying to get some sense from a senseless situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:20 pm 
Ist Krieg

See, the kane900 bitch keeps posting, fucking up the forum and nobody is doing anything. Somebody should be an über mod here, seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:22 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Kathaarian wrote:
See, the kane900 bitch keeps posting, fucking up the forum and nobody is doing anything. Somebody should be an über mod here, seriously.

I wouldn't mind doing it, I'm here enough. But I doubt they'll elevate a forumite like that. This is why it was stupid to kick Aaron out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:27 pm 
Ist Krieg

Zad wrote:
Kathaarian wrote:

I wouldn't mind doing it, I'm here enough. But I doubt they'll elevate a forumite like that. This is why it was stupid to kick Aaron out.

Yeah and it sucks. You should ask the MR staff anyway, maybe they'll do it, I don't really see a better candidate here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:29 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Kathaarian wrote:
Yeah and it sucks. You should ask the MR staff anyway, maybe they'll do it, I don't really see a better candidate here.

Why, thank you. I'll see what happens....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:36 pm 
Ist Krieg

This is an appeal:

Please do not make Zad a moderator. Please.

Nothing personal, man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Radagast wrote:
This is an appeal:

Please do not make Zad a moderator. Please.

Nothing personal, man.

Why?
I wouldn't ban you! I wouldn't be a tyrant at all. You jealous or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:43 pm 
Ist Krieg

Jealous of something you don't have? :roll: No, not at all.

As I said, its honestly nothing personal - I like bantering with you, but there are times when you take things far too seriously and I don't think you would handle being a moderator very responsibly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:47 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Radagast wrote:
Jealous of something you don't have? :roll: No, not at all.

Joke, Craig.

Radagast wrote:
As I said, its honestly nothing personal - I like bantering with you, but there are times when you take things far too seriously and I don't think you would handle being a moderator very responsibly

I think it's about time people started taking this forum seriously. Have you seen the little Kane9000 cunt? I wouldn't ban him, but I would delete that thread and give him an official warning. Some moderation needs to be done. And you have no idea at all about what I do responsibly, so don't start. I value this place highly enough not to take it lightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:22 pm 
Well, someone level headed, like Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:26 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Why do people not think I'm level-headed? I go on about being 'serious', I know, but surely that's a good quality for a moderator?

Post subject: Re: Moderators..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:56 pm 
Zad wrote:
So, now that Aaron's no longer a modder for the Alternative forum ( :roll: ) who's his replacement? I see Ken's extending his reign of terror from the News forum to the Rock and Power metal ones, and Daniel's got the Goths, what about us alternatives? Will it be a member of the team, or will one of the forumites be upgraded....?

And Ken, if you get offended by that you're an idiot. Wink.

Maybe it'll be me, you sonofabitch! :evil: Haha. Actually, I asked to be made a mod of the News forum because I kept fucking things up and then couldn't fix my mistake. I could fix it behind the scenes, but that for some reason didn't change it on the board. So instead of having a bunch of news items on the board that were messed up, I asked to be a mod so I could fix my mistakes (there were only two of them, actually.)

Slayer Of Kings wrote:
Whoever they choose, I hope he moderates more actively than the rest of them.

What do you mean? What needs to be moderated more?

Kathaarian wrote:

Like what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:15 pm 
Zad wrote:
I think it's about time people started taking this forum seriously. Have you seen the little Kane9000 cunt? I wouldn't ban him, but I would delete that thread and give him an official warning. Some moderation needs to be done. And you have no idea at all about what I do responsibly, so don't start. I value this place highly enough not to take it lightly.

Have I missed something? Here's the thing, and I say this as a member of the board, not a moderator. Moderation is a tricky business, it really is. Over at the Devin Townsend board the moderators are ridiculous, they'll lock or delete a thread with no explanation, or if they do give a smartass explanation before they lock it they'll quote a rule that they've complete misinterpreted. It's annoying because 99% of the time it is not necessary for them to moderate that particular thread/post. For instance, remember my friend's band SLAVES FOR SCORES? I posted a thread here on them.

Anyway, I posted that same thread there in the General forum. They moved it to the Fan Art Forum. WTF? I questioned it and they threatened to ban me if I broke the rules again. The forum descriptions:

The general discussion: Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct

Fan art and projects: Share and show your art, your music and each ounce of your creativity

You'll notice that I put it in the correct forum in the first place, this was neither my art, my music, or my creativity! By description I followed the rules, but they still argued that they were right and I was wrong. I swear I was going to get banned. But this is how they do things there. They don't care, they think they're close to Devin somehow and forget that moderating is about keeping the board professional, fun, free of spam, etc. People are going to always post stupid shit, but where do you draw the line? Obviously posting a link with someone shitting in someone's mouth is crossing the line, so WiC got banned (not by me). Is Kane9000 doing something similar or just being an annoying twat? You can't ban someone for being stupid. I'm not saying he is, of course.

I feel that no one should really be aware of a moderator doing anything. I'd rather not moderate, as in the act of moderating. I don't mind being a moderator, it is necessary, but I'd rather not have to do any moderation because once moderators start actively moderating people get pissed! You may hate Kane9000, but someone, or maybe many others will not find the same problems with him, thus moderating him will draw criticism from them. Then the mods get call "Nazis" and all that other shit. You know how it goes.

If someone is seriously a concern, PM a mod of that forum and see what can be done. Otherwise, I'd say dealing with idiots is just part of a messageboard. Overactive mods take the fun away from a board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:19 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I could do it... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:03 pm 
I have moderation experience on this type of boards, and am mostly regarded as a sensible and serious chap. I hereby apply for moderatorship.

BTW, Zad, I completely agree with you. There's an excess of shit floating around on these boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:23 pm 
Slayer Of Kings wrote:
BTW, Zad, I completely agree with you. There's an excess of shit floating around on these boards.

Zad needs to make up his mind, though.

Zad wrote:
I think this is stupid. I've been to forums where the moderators were much more tyrannical than Aaron (hell, I never thought he was OTT, despite any jokes I made), and people there accepted it. What this comes down to is a split in the forum, between the PM and BM people and this little conflict reflected that. According to the rules, Aaron was right, and really, no-one should expect to be treated politely online. Still, what's done is done. I can't help but think, though, that Metal Reviews isn't the place it once was.

See what happens when things get moderated?