Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:50 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

well, I guess. Machine Head are a really obvious band and I'm sure Burn My Eyes was a classic in alt-metal circles, but Sleep are a really vital band for the doomier metalheads. it's not a personal choice, it's just that you haven't investigated that part of the genre, in the same way that I wouldn't know whether any given important power metal CD deserved to be a classic or a 50/100.

the classics should be more or less objective.. have you listened to Godflesh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:51 pm 
Karma Whore

Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Pffft. Sleep who? would be my response. Burn My Eyes is a complete classic. :roll:

As for what is and what isn't a classic, there are definite classics out there and then there are personal classics. I think most of the classic reviews here are personal classics. For instance, I would never consider any Godflesh album a classic regardless of how good they are. So, if you feel Sleep is a classic, then add it and justify it well. Not much more you can do than that, really.

Uh... why would you never consider Godflesh classic? Every post-89 industrial metal band cites them as an influence. They helped start a new generation of metal.

So... why?

Because Eyesore is slightly over-opinionated and hypocitical when it comes to stuff like this. Plus he is a crap reviewer and doesn't know when to shut his mouth, especially in issues which don't concern him. Bring back the V., down with the big fuck.

(Hehehe, only joking, Ken)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:57 pm 
Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Pffft. Sleep who? would be my response. Burn My Eyes is a complete classic. :roll:

As for what is and what isn't a classic, there are definite classics out there and then there are personal classics. I think most of the classic reviews here are personal classics. For instance, I would never consider any Godflesh album a classic regardless of how good they are. So, if you feel Sleep is a classic, then add it and justify it well. Not much more you can do than that, really.

Uh... why would you never consider Godflesh classic? Every post-89 industrial metal band cites them as an influence. They helped start a new generation of metal.

So... why?

Trust me, I think they're a killer band, and very influential, but like Gamma Ray I think the band is influential, not any one album. I don't see any one album as being classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:00 pm 
Einherjar

Eyesore wrote:
Trust me, I think they're a killer band, and very influential, but like Gamma Ray I think the band is influential not any one album. I don't see any one album as being classic.

I don't think so. Streetcleaner garnered accolades from everywhere, and even now, it's the album people think of when they hear 'Godflesh.'

Pure wasn't nearly as good or innovative, Selfless saw them adopting an entirely different direction, and by Songs of Love and Hate they were almost entirely ignored by everyone in the metal scene. Us and Them continued that trend, but they made a slight comeback with Hymns and might have become more relevant had they not bowed out shortly thereafter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:18 pm 
Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

So... why?

Because Eyesore is slightly over-opinionated and hypocitical when it comes to stuff like this. Plus he is a crap reviewer and doesn't know when to shut his mouth, especially in issues which don't concern him. Bring back the V., down with the big fuck.

You sonofabitch!

And yes, I've heard Godflesh and I really like the band. I'm not basing my opinions on ignorance here, in case anyone was thinking that. If I know nothing of a band, I don't comment generally.

As for Sleep, they very well may have put out a classic doom metal album. I wouldn't know as I've never heard them. My comment was general in scope not specifically toward Sleep. I do, however, feel that a lot of the Classic reviews here are influential, yes, but more or less personal favorites for the reviewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Eyesore wrote:
Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

So... why?

You sonofabitch!

And yes, I've heard Godflesh and I really like the band. I'm not basing my opinions on ignorance here, in case anyone was thinking that. If I know nothing of a band, I don't comment generally.

As for Sleep, they very well may have put out a classic doom metal album. I wouldn't know as I've never heard them. My comment was general in scope not specifically toward Sleep. I do, however, feel that a lot of the Classic reviews here are influential, yes, but more or less personal favorites for the reviewer.

Well, I for one think both Sleep's Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker are classic worthy. Stoner doom bands, such as Electric Wizard, are very obviously influenced by Sleep. You have my support, Dee.

Not that there was any doubt to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:00 am 
Well, neither are worth arguing over. I've not heard Sleep and Godflesh is a good debate either way, but it's like arguing over who won a boxing match that came out a draw, and was a fair decision. It could have went either way. I can see this album being a classic, I guess, but I don't think it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:16 am 
Einherjar

Eyesore wrote:
Well, neither are worth arguing over. I've not heard Sleep and Godflesh is a good debate either way, but it's like arguing over who won a boxing match that came out a draw, and was a fair decision. It could have went either way. I can see this album being a classic, I guess, but I don't think it is.

I'll live.

Looking forward to that Dead Soul Tribe review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:01 pm 
What is everyones' thoughts on me reviewing Frank Hannon's new solo album? It's a rock album with a slight southern rock feel. Thoughts?

CHAIN REACTION (INSTRUMENTAL)
RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

By the way, Frank Hannon is one of the guitarists in Tesla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:21 pm 
Eyesore wrote:
What is everyones' thoughts on me reviewing Frank Hannon's new solo album? It's a rock album with a slight southern rock feel. Thoughts?

RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

good band (though their comeback album was quite disappointing)... I particulary like their second album. imo, the best hair metal album ever... :D

on F.Hannon, I hate samples so I just dowloaded the instrumental... it's not bad but nothing spectacular either... sounds like the soundtrack to an 80's/90's cop series imo (I can very well see it on a car chase or that kind of stuff)... very much Satriani (circa The Extremist) influenced with, obviously, a lesser guitar level

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:29 pm 
Hannon is a badass guitarist! Anyway, I thought Tesla's last album was great, they've not released a bad album yet, and their side-projects (Bar 7, Moon Dog Mane and Soulmotor) were all excellent as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am 
Ist Krieg

Eyesore wrote:

RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

I vote no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:31 am 
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

I vote no

Explain. Without, of course, saying they suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:35 am 
Ist Krieg

Eyesore wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

I vote no

I like Tesla, but I hate side projects, for the most part. Especially a washed up band's side project that isn't even metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:59 am 
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

I vote no

I like Tesla, but I hate side projects, for the most part. Especially a washed up band's side project that isn't even metal.

Washed up? Are you mad? :D

Anyway, the reason I ask is because of the style. Bon Jovi was reviewed and received well, clearly not metal in any way. But this is not all rock, there are some heavier moments here. For instance:

EYE OF THE MIND

This song has a sort of "Holy Diver" feel to it (and is that Axl singing back up in the chorus?). I don't know, Tesla are one of my favorite bands from the 80's and I'd like to give this CD a review, but not if everyone's going to tear it to shreds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 am 
Ist Krieg

Eyesore wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

RE-EVOLUTION (Clip)
TOUCH OF MAGIC (Clip)

I vote no

Washed up? Are you mad? :D

Anyway, the reason I ask is because of the style. Bon Jovi was reviewed and received well, clearly not metal in any way. But this is not all rock, there are some heavier moments here. For instance:

EYE OF THE MIND

This song has a sort of "Holy Diver" feel to it (and is that Axl singing back up in the chorus?). I don't know, Tesla are one of my favorite bands from the 80's and I'd like to give this CD a review, but not if everyone's going to tear it to shreds.

I don't know about tearing it to shreds, but it sure as hell won't get very many responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:07 am 
What's new? None of my reviews get many responses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:29 am 
Ist Krieg

Eyesore wrote:

Cynic and Dreamcatcher did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:34 am 
metalNESS wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Cynic and Dreamcatcher did.

That's not a good batting average. Hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Ken, no. There's plenty of metal that can be reviewed without resorting to that sort of stuff. As you yourself always say, 'if you lie it, why review it?'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next