Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:17 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:53 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

lizardtail wrote:
Yes, classics are one thing and normal reviews are another. and yes, at some point, if I have any say, we're getting a Epicus Doomicus Metallicus classic review and it's getting 99.9 / 100 and there'll be dancing in the streets. we'd be remiss to leave out the truly great releases, especially as omitting something so important is a lot like rewriting history to someone who's still learning about metal.

I used this place's archive of review to acquaint myself with metal, actually, before that I was mainly concerned with alt-rock and prog..

W00t!! I know I'll be dancing.

So, is 99.9/100 the highest honor which can be bestowed on an album gauged on the lizardtail rating scale? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:01 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Anyway, what's the point of having Classics at all, according to you? (Ken)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 pm 
Zad wrote:

Read what I said again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:13 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Eyesore wrote:
Zad wrote:

Read what I said again.

I repeat: what's your point? So, you don't want us to request Classics, who does them? The whole "Request a classic review" thing came about because of the team anyway. Not our (forumites') fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 pm 
Zad wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Zad wrote:

Read what I said again.

I repeat: what's your point? So, you don't want us to request Classics, who does them? The whole "Request a classic review" thing came about because of the team anyway. Not our (forumites') fault.

Read what I said again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:44 pm 
Ist Krieg

It makes the site more complete.

Complete = Better.

End of story.

Now how about some of those classics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:25 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Eyesore: I really have no clue what you're on about. People request albums they have an opinion on already just because of that: they want another opinion on it, to debate it officially. Otherwise, the whole point of a site such as this is silly, we have to share music with each other, not keep finds to ourselves. Both you and I make many posts about new bands we've found, and out of the kindness of our hearts want others to know about. Reviews are no different.

If that doesn't get it, you'll just have to point it out to me, I'm very tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:58 pm 
Quote:

For the record, this question has nothing to do with what I asked. I never said old reviews are pointless/worthless/whatever.

Zad wrote:
Eyesore: I really have no clue what you're on about. People request albums they have an opinion on already just because of that: they want another opinion on it, to debate it officially. Otherwise, the whole point of a site such as this is silly, we have to share music with each other, not keep finds to ourselves. Both you and I make many posts about new bands we've found, and out of the kindness of our hearts want others to know about. Reviews are no different.

If that doesn't get it, you'll just have to point it out to me, I'm very tired.

With that said, I have no problems with old reviews. I just reviewed a CD from 1994! My point was that I don't see the point in constantly requesting CDs get reviewed and then getting upset when they don't. That's it. Think back to when Octavarium was released, it wasn't reviewed right away here and people complained. But they owned/had already heard the album and already had an opinion on it, so why, then, is a review necessary? Because it makes the site more complete? Fine, of course it makes the site more complete, but it's not necessary.

If you want to discuss a band, start a thread. That was all I was saying. Do you know how much of a task it would be to review every album that people feel are missing? I spend about 4 hours doing just one review. That's just me, though, I rework the shit out of what I write. But reviews aren't easy. We could all slap together a shoddy review, but I don't think anyone here does that.

So, my point was simply go with the flow, if there is a band you'd like to discuss start a thread. Suggest a review, no doubt, but not vehemently. And then try not to get so upset when it doesn't get reviewed. :wink:

And for the record, since I feel I need to justify my opinions now, hehehe, I was arguing this same point long before I became a reviewer here. :wink:

Last edited by Eyesore on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:02 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I think the minority rather than the majority get as upset over lack of reviews, but I see your point. Still, the more people keep on, the less likely you are to forget about albums you said you'd review ("you" meaning the team overall rather than you, Mr KenWood). Eg: Aaron, where the hell is Napalm Death - Scum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:39 pm 
Zad wrote:
I think the minority rather than the majority get as upset over lack of reviews, but I see your point. Still, the more people keep on, the less likely you are to forget about albums you said you'd review ("you" meaning the team overall rather than you, Mr KenWood). Eg: Aaron, where the hell is Napalm Death - Scum?

Dazcoo. I can dig it.