FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm

How Do You Like Your Reviews??
Song-By-Song Description 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Descriptive, Editorial Format 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Whatever, As Long As It's Good 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: How Do You Like Your Reviews??
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 am 
I'm curious, how would you prefer to read a review?

Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:04 am 
Ist Krieg

I could care less. As long as the reviewer's point gets across and the review is well written, I'm happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:09 am 
I'm just trying to think of the best way I can do reviews. I love to write, I think that is obvious. I also love to discuss music, I think that is obvious as well, so I was wondering if people liked song-by-song descriptions better. I tend to enjoy those a bit, but I guess when reviewing a CD like a power metal band that follows a strict format would be tough to do a song-by-song description of.

Curiosity, my man, curiosity...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:24 am 
Ist Krieg

Eyesore wrote:
I'm just trying to think of the best way I can do reviews. I love to write, I think that is obvious. I also love to discuss music, I think that is obvious as well, so I was wondering if people liked song-by-song descriptions better. I tend to enjoy those a bit, but I guess when reviewing a CD like a power metal band that follows a strict format would be tough to do a song-by-song description of.

Curiosity, my man, curiosity...

flip flop. Do it this way one week and that another week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Whatever fits the album best. The albums are all different, and follow different formats, so it stands to reason that the reviews would follow different formats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 am 
Carnifex Umbris wrote:
Whatever fits the album best. The albums are all different, and follow different formats, so it stands to reason that the reviews would follow different formats.

Hmmm...good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:30 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Song by song reviews often seem laboured, in my opinion. I prefer a reviewer to not just slavishly describe what they here, but analyse how a band fits into the wider metal world, and where they draw their sound and inspiration from.

Obviously, we need to know a little bit about how they sound as well, though. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:34 pm 
I regard an album as a whole, not as a collection of songs, so I obviously voted against song by song ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:21 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

rio wrote:
Song by song reviews often seem laboured, in my opinion. I prefer a reviewer to not just slavishly describe what they here, but analyse how a band fits into the wider metal world, and where they draw their sound and inspiration from.

Obviously, we need to know a little bit about how they sound as well, though. :twisted:

Agreed. Song by song reviews can spoil the experience of discovering the album, if you know there's this bit coming up in a minute or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:22 pm 
Anything but long and boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:35 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I like song-by-song..

*cries*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:09 pm 
Karma Whore

I dislike song by song ones. To me, a review should bring up the main points of the album, and use songs as examples (For example: I really liked how drummer X did this, as can be seen in song Y, or, there were some excellent riffs, my favourite being the verse riff in song Z). Its also best to actually list what are the best songs; nothing annoys me more than reading an MR review where for the killer songs bit, a reviewer writes "EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!" Nice enthusiasm, Billy, but that doesn't tell me anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:29 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

song by song is usually more fun and more helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:13 pm 
Brahm_K wrote:
nothing annoys me more than reading an MR review where for the killer songs bit, a reviewer writes "EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!" Nice enthusiasm, Billy, but that doesn't tell me anything.

It doesn't? What if they actually thought every song was a killer song, would it be better if they wrote each track title out individually?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:29 pm 
Karma Whore

Eyesore wrote:
Brahm_K wrote:
nothing annoys me more than reading an MR review where for the killer songs bit, a reviewer writes "EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!" Nice enthusiasm, Billy, but that doesn't tell me anything.

It doesn't? What if they actually thought every song was a killer song, would it be better if they wrote each track title out individually?

There are albums where every song is a killer song. However, I have yet to listen to an album where I like every song equally. If you want to stress that each song is amazing, write: "They're all amazing, but I particularly like these three." The point of the killer songs, part, to me at least, is to name a few songs that someone who's interested in checking out the band should use as a starting point. When people write "THEY'RE ALL GREAT!" it doesn't help there much, especially since this isn't only done rarely, but actually quite a lot in the very positive reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Brahm_K wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Brahm_K wrote:

There are albums where every song is a killer song. However, I have yet to listen to an album where I like every song equally. If you want to stress that each song is amazing, write: "They're all amazing, but I particularly like these three." The point of the killer songs, part, to me at least, is to name a few songs that someone who's interested in checking out the band should use as a starting point. When people write "THEY'RE ALL GREAT!" it doesn't help there much, especially since this isn't only done rarely, but actually quite a lot in the very positive reviews.

Agreed, Brahm, agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:50 pm 
Brahm_K wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Brahm_K wrote:

Good points. I shall never do it again. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:20 pm 
Karma Whore

option 3 for me, as long as it is good,i don't care :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 pm 
Ist Krieg

Brahm_K wrote:
Nice enthusiasm, Billy, but that doesn't tell me anything.

Haha! Do you say Billy a lot. Like, "Nice job Billy" or "Ok Billy."

I do, I don't know why either, I just do. Anyway, good reviews are awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:07 am 
Karma Whore

metalNESS wrote:
Brahm_K wrote:
Nice enthusiasm, Billy, but that doesn't tell me anything.

Haha! Do you say Billy a lot. Like, "Nice job Billy" or "Ok Billy."

I do, I don't know why either, I just do. Anyway, good reviews are awesome.

Ha, I do. I don't know why either; but it works to everybody's benefit. Glad to have found someone like me! I also use Jimmy quite often.