Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:40 am 
Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Maybe they should just score EPs on a 0–50 scale. CD singles can be on a 0–30 scale. :D

Singles are shit, though.

That's is crazy talk!! I don't see a point in singles with album tracks on them, but how many bands out there include unreleased shit on singles?? Come on, depending on the band, singles kick ass!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:42 am 
Einherjar

Eyesore wrote:
That's is crazy talk!! I don't see a point in singles with album tracks on them, but how many bands out there include unreleased shit on singles?? Come on, depending on the band, singles kick ass!!

You've bought singles that rule, I'm sure, however, all the singles I've been suckered into buying have been ass.

Great for you if yours haven't. Speaking from personal experience here, I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:23 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You've bought singles that rule, I'm sure, however, all the singles I've been suckered into buying have been ass.

I learnt looooooong ago not to buy singles. Why pay £3 for a single when for another £7-£10 you can get the full album? Singles are being phased out from what I hear, being replaced with this new downloading shit.

Eyesore wrote:
Yes, I did...like 2 weeks ago. Hmmm...I'm sure you'll get it soon. It's funny, I have a friend who buys me rare shit from the UK, when she mails it to me, I get it in a week, when I mail shit to her, she's lucky if she gets it in 2 weeks! Lame.

I threw in some select songs from my friend's band, too. And some stickers, I think. Whatever I had laying around.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, mail system is definately a bit hit-and-miss. Maybe it's being screened for anthrax or something. Anyway, I'll look forwards to it. Thanks again! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:50 pm 
Dead Machine wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You don't check what's on them before you buy? There are a lot of bands like Helloween, Therapy?, The Coral and many others that always include non-lp tracks on singles. Well worth the money. Then there are band's like System Of A Down that include the same three live tracks on their singles over TWO FUCKING ALBUMS, not only that, those same three live songs get thrown on the "special" 2CD re-releases! Those are the rip-off singles.

But there are some good ones out there, just gotta check before you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:53 pm 
zadsterboombox wrote:
I learnt looooooong ago not to buy singles. Why pay £3 for a single when for another £7-£10 you can get the full album? Singles are being phased out from what I hear, being replaced with this new downloading shit.

That's what I was thinking. Therapy? released one real single for their High Anxiety album and nothing but 1-track promo singles for their latest album! At least they're putting unreleased songs on their webbysite. Helloween released only one single for Rabbit Don't Come Easy, they usually release about 3, at least!

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Yeah, mail system is definately a bit hit-and-miss. Maybe it's being screened for anthrax or something. Anyway, I'll look forwards to it. Thanks again! :D

I hope not, because if it is then I wasted a lot of anthrax for no reason!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:15 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

The "Slaves of Satan" single by Reverend Bizarre doesn't suck ass. it's 21 minutes of awesome crushing doom..

But yeah, don't ever rate singles. Demos and EPs are another story, sometimes a band's best work is on these and none of their full-lengths..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:01 pm 
lizardtail wrote:
The "Slaves of Satan" single by Reverend Bizarre doesn't suck ass. it's 21 minutes of awesome crushing doom..

But yeah, don't ever rate singles. Demos and EPs are another story, sometimes a band's best work is on these and none of their full-lengths..

Is that a single, though? Some people release EPs and call them singles, and vice versa. I don't know anything about this band.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this. You guys should rate everything you review! See, there are times when I just don't have the time to read the review, maybe I'm at work, in a hurry, whatever. Seeing "No Quote" sort of sucks, I'd rather see "80/100" or whatever, that way I can get a good idea of what the review is about. If it's a 1/100 then I can pretty much gather you hate the CD, ect.

What is the reason for not rating EP/Singles/Demo/Etc.??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:28 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Eyesore wrote:
lizardtail wrote:

Is that a single, though? Some people release EPs and call them singles, and vice versa. I don't know anything about this band.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this. You guys should rate everything you review! See, there are times when I just don't have the time to read the review, maybe I'm at work, in a hurry, whatever. Seeing "No Quote" sort of sucks, I'd rather see "80/100" or whatever, that way I can get a good idea of what the review is about. If it's a 1/100 then I can pretty much gather you hate the CD, ect.

What is the reason for not rating EP/Singles/Demo/Etc.??

Nah, Slaves of Satan is just all one song, so I'd classify it as a single. Whereas "I" by Meshuggah was also only one song, but it was an EP because it didn't appear on any of their albums. I know, I know, that doesn't make a lick of sense..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:33 pm 
I would classify that as an EP, a 21 minute song is not a single! =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:03 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

They scored Suffocation - Human Waste.

Why some yes and some not?