Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Post subject: Limit amounts of scores of "0" you can give
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:08 pm 
Svartalfar

I am very new to the site, and not a frequent user, I usually just check out the new reviews via google reader.

However, when I do browse around some older albums, I have found many times where there is this user who gives out a ridiculous number of scores of zero. I will not point any fingers, but it just seems like the 0s are given are just given to albums because they are popular or something. Not finding even a small amount of joy in any of the albums seems a bit farfetched.

But anyway, I think it was be nice to limit these 0s that are allowed, because when I look at albums to see which I should buy, I do not want some albums scores being completely unlike the common opinion of metalheads just because one guy gives them all a 0.

Just my two cents though. I am realizing this as a very uncommon user, so I am sure that frequent users have noticed this as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:01 am 
Ist Krieg

Back in the olden days when this site was younger and more... immature? (is that the right word?) there were some pretty stupidly scored albums (that old Cryptopsy review is a painfully obvious example). I'm guessing it was because the team was much smaller and there wasn't as much... pressure? (is that the right word?) to put out more serious reviews.

It'd be nice if some of those older reviews could be re-done by some other people. They kinda stick out like a bad stain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I think he's talking about the scores that can be given by users, rather than the reviewer's scores themselves? It's a difficult thing to police - hopefully everyone is aware that it's the words in the review itself that give the best idea of what an album's about, rather than some numbers assigned at the end. Ideally, of course, you're right, and people wouldn't exaggerate to such a degree when giving their opinion, but distinguishing between that and genuine 0-rating (assuming that to be logically possible) is too hard to police, I'd say. Not sure if the user scores can be individually removed, either... hm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 am 
Karma Whore

I don't think I ever give a zero, not even to St. Anger! Or was I pissed, or stoned. Anyway, so far as you guys don't review CĂ©line Dion or Engelbert Humperdinck, you won't see that kind of shit coming from me. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:09 pm 
Svartalfar

Haha, well thanks for the responses everybody, and as mentioned by Goat, I was referring to scores given by users.

And also, Goat is probably correct in saying that it is too hard to police. It is just that the same guy who gave the Number Of The Beast a 0 has given many others a 0. I mean, I completely understand if one finds the Number Of The Beast overrated, and I will even understand them becoming bored, but there is no way a metalhead could find this to be a 0. It wasn't one album though. The same dude gave The Years Of Decay a 0. I can't think of anymore off the top of my head, but I know I have come by 4 or 5 more in may days or reading reviews. When I look to see which album I would like to purchase over another, I have learned to just ignore his score..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 am 
Ist Krieg

Hahaha, probably should've read the post more thoroughly. I just kinda assumed.

Either way, trolls will be trolls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

To the OP:

Perhaps, it would be an esteemed note that its ultimately the review that counts to anything in terms of the content on that website. Simply phrased, if you do not have any sort of ill-sentiment to said negative rating of your personal favorite albums, then either leave a comment in meek praise, add a contrary rating to boost the overall score, commit suicide, or merely ignore what is nothing more than a mere addendum. I wish I was present to supply you with a sufficient amount of hankies to wipe your tears away, lord knows how staggeringly powerful those albums you have labored to bring to everyones attention were endeavored upon. However, the most salient thing to know is as a cliche so aptly states, opinions are like assholes, and if you don't like what an individual does or votes upon than simply fuck off.

Have a nice day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:17 pm 
Ist Krieg

stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
commit suicide
such a grump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:18 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

traptunderice wrote:
stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
commit suicide
such a grump.

LIVE, LOVE, LET DIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:05 pm 
Svartalfar

holy shit dude I wasn't trying to attack you for your opinions or threaten you to kill yourself, I was just curious to why so many 0's. I simply put out my opinion and you are attacking me claiming that I am attacking your opinion. This is pointless, I'll just go commit suicide like you so helpfully stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 pm 
Ist Krieg

bentrom wrote:
holy shit dude I wasn't trying to attack you for your opinions or threaten you to kill yourself, I was just curious to why so many 0's. I simply put out my opinion and you are attacking me claiming that I am attacking your opinion. This is pointless, I'll just go commit suicide like you so helpfully stated.
aww. don't let steve get to you. he's a curmudgeon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:56 am 
Svartalfar

Alright, thanks dude. I kinda figured he was a douche anyway :lol:
It will be easy to just ignore any score he gives anyway :cool: