Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 am

Post subject: More than one review per album
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:46 pm 
Karma Whore

I think a good aspect to add to the site would be if a reviewer could submit a review for an album that has already been reviewed, as long as he says something new about it. That way, we can get different perspectives about albums instead of just taking one person's opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 am 
MetalReviews Staff

i actually agree with you, but i think having a lot of bands reviewed is also important... i just don't know :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:00 am 
Svartalfar

The problem with that, as Gast said, is that there will be a smaller selection of albums that are actually reviewed. I see your point though. All I can recommend is that you learn which reviewers share your tastes and which don't, and always keep that in mind when you read the reviews.

ie...

If you're into Black/Death but hate power metal, and you find a power metal album with a 90+ score, reviewed by a huge power metal fan, chances are you won't like it even if it got a 99/100 and was labelled a classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:01 pm 
Metal King

I easily agree, although I understand that it's going to be difficult for the reviewers who have a lot of work just to review the new releases :P
The most important reason for this IMO is the older reviews. many of them are far too short and aren't up to par with the newer reviews. There are lots of killer albums here that aren't done justice with their current reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:34 pm 
What it comes down to is that a lot of promos we receive go unreviewed or get reviewed months after their release. We'd be doing an even greater diservice to these bands and labels if we review even less of the stuff they send us because we have multiple people reviewing the same CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:28 pm 
Karma Whore

Understood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:40 pm 
I think this is a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 pm 
Eyesore wrote:

2nd agreement of the day... what the hell is happening with us Kenny ? :wink:

I think it can have to be where the open formula would be more fitting.. of course admins' should check the quality of the reviews submited by the forumites first but it'd be a good way to bring more opinions on albums reviewed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:50 pm 
T.I.E. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I think it can have to be where the open formula would be more fitting.. of course admins' should check the quality of the reviews submited by the forumites first but it'd be a good way to bring more opinions on albums reviewed...

It seems to be back the way it was before your boyfriend was banned and you got mad. :roll:

I'm not sure how this could work, at metaljudgement.com three reviewers review an album each week. Same album. Right now we can add our own scores, I think creating an option for us to give a full-blown review, or just personal comments would be best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:54 pm 
Eyesore wrote:
T.I.E. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

It seems to be back the way it was before your boyfriend was banned and you got mad. :roll:

I'm not sure how this could work, at metaljudgement.com three reviewers review an album each week. Same album. Right now we can add our own scores, I think creating an option for us to give a full-blown review, or just personal comments would be best.

well, a review shouldn't be added if it doesn't bring anything to the original review... who needs 15 people telling how great Number of the Beast is ? but some might be insightful, then, why not ? (I'm sure the admins will be able to tell if the review is worth or not)

NP
Deep Purple "King Biscuit Flower Hour" (Bolin on guitar, it's gooooood !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:01 pm 
Right, only add your $0.02 if it differs from the review at hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:07 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

number of the beast is pretty great, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:09 pm 
Einherjar

I look forward to bashing all the Opeth albums that have been reviewed by people who aren't me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:47 pm 
crims@metalreviews wrote:
What it comes down to is that a lot of promos we receive go unreviewed or get reviewed months after their release. We'd be doing an even greater diservice to these bands and labels if we review even less of the stuff they send us because we have multiple people reviewing the same CD.

This is the main reason we decided against this idea when we discussed it amongst ourselves months and months ago. We get a ton of music sent to us, so entering a review for each of those new albums is first priority. Having 2 or more people review the same album while demos and mediocre albums (which still should be reviewed; can't only stick to good stuff) are ignored as a result would be a bad thing.

Also, any reviewer can add his own quote to the bottom of an existing review, and make a post in the respective forum thread with his "supplemental review" to go along with his quote. So really, we do have the capability to display other reviewers' quotes and comments for an existing review. It won't show up as a second "official" review, but at least it is possible to get that information out in some format. Also, any reader can now add their own quote (drop down box), and write all they wish to write in the forum thread.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:04 am 
Eeentadesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Too many albums to review, not enough time. We can always add our quote in the review page and (briefly) explain our view on the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:04 am 
Metal King

I understand how its unfair to have say 2 reviews of a popular band while a crappy one gets just the one review.

What i'd like to see is the one main review, for any band, whether good or bad, plus a 2nd mini review, say a 1/4 or 1/2 the length of the main review; just to see any differences between the 2.
Different reviewers mean differents tastes and opinions. I dont mind seeing 2-3 more reviewers giving a quote apart from the reviewers quote, but thats just it, its only a quote. I'd like to know their opinions, especially if the quotes are a fair way apart (say 75 comparred to 91).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:46 am 
Einherjar

Well, I think the forum is a good place to put the mini-reviews, and to discuss over the different points of view over a certain album. I always look the review and the forum, to see more details and have different points of view.
Just don't left all the work to the reviewer, if you have an opinion, post it. That will help.

And I prefer more album reviewed than few ones reviewed more than one time.