Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   

Am I right?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 pm 
Karma Whore

pwn3d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Adam wrote:
Goat wrote:
What's the difference between Stoner Doom and Stoner Metal, prithee?

Well duh, one's not doom. :wink:

Think of it as the difference between Electric Wizard and High on Fire.

Ah right, cheers. Funny Doom gets so many subgenres whilst the rest don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

That's cause doom rules dude. Thought you knew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 pm 
Einherjar

I don't know about you guys, but the labels that the albums get are pretty clear to me, and generally accepted as tags on a lot of music related sites.

Keep it how it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 pm 
Karma Whore

All I mean is that the specified genre for the review should come from the list below, and therefore the search engine will actually work.

Avant-Garde
Black
Christian
Dark
Death
Doom
Doom Death
Folk Metal
Funeral Doom
Gothic
Guitar Hero
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Industrial
Melodic Death
Metalcore
Modern Metal
Nu-Metal
Power/True Metal
Progressive
Progressive Doom
Speed Metal
Stoner Doom
Stoner Metal
Thrash
Viking

Surely there's enough range there to be able to elaborate in the review? If I see 'Thrash' and then in the review it says "X play a very blackened style of thrash" then there's no annoying genre descriptions, after all the review is there to tell you what the album is like. Plus, as I've already said, the search thing is hard to use for genre because the reviews are often labelled wrongly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:09 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Sooo... you have no problem in Slayer's Diabolus In Musica being labelled Thrash, then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:10 pm 
Karma Whore

Whatever, do it. Just make sure that the review clears up the fact that its no RIB. Also, what the hell is 'Guitar Hero?' thats not a credible genre of rock/metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
Whatever, do it. Just make sure that the review clears up the fact that its no RIB. Also, what the hell is 'Guitar Hero?' thats not a credible genre of rock/metal.

I assume it means widdly stuff like Satriani.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm 
Karma Whore

Goat wrote:
Metalhead_Bastard wrote:

I assume it means widdly stuff like Satriani.

I just fear that stuff like AC/DC will get thrown in there unfairly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:38 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
All I mean is that the specified genre for the review should come from the list below, and therefore the search engine will actually work.

I don't understand how that will make the search engine function any better. If someone labels a band as a certain genre in the database, then it doesn't matter what they say it is in the review.

The search function is flawed, I'll give you that, but it has nothing to do with the genre label from the actual review.

And again, if you notice something out of whack (i.e. you search for Black Metal and Freedom Call shows up in the list), let me or Zad know and one of us will fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:43 pm 
Karma Whore

Adam wrote:
Metalhead_Bastard wrote:

I don't understand how that will make the search engine function any better. If someone labels a band as a certain genre in the database, then it doesn't matter what they say it is in the review.

The search function is flawed, I'll give you that, but it has nothing to do with the genre label from the actual review.

And again, if you notice something out of whack (i.e. you search for Black Metal and Freedom Call shows up in the list), let me or Zad know and one of us will fix it.

I worded that poorly, it'd just be obvious and clearer what to search for, and the bands that pop up would be easily understood justified being there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Well, for the most part I agree with you, as you'll notice that I usually keep my genre descriptions short and sweet. The only problem with your idea is: what to do with artists whose music doesn't neatly fit into any of those genres?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 pm 
Metal King

Adam wrote:
Metalhead_Bastard wrote:

Well, for starters all of the Sigh reviews are listed under Power/True Metal. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:34 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Metastable To Chaos wrote:
Well, for starters all of the Sigh reviews are listed under Power/True Metal. :P

Hmm, I just checked and they were only tagged with Black and Progressive. I added Avant-Garde, but they shouldn't show up if you look for Power/True reviews using the search engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:25 pm 
Karma Whore

Adam wrote:
Well, for the most part I agree with you, as you'll notice that I usually keep my genre descriptions short and sweet. The only problem with your idea is: what to do with artists whose music doesn't neatly fit into any of those genres?

Exceptions can be made, but I think that common sense dictates how they should be labelled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:43 pm 
Einherjar

Ulver is not in black or avant-garde...

Also, for clarity, I think Guitar hero should be exterminated (Axel Rudy Pell don't deserve that :D ) and the two stoner could be joined in one.

Also, Progressive doom is really Sludge and Drone together, seems... Name really misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:47 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

ganeshaRules wrote:
Ulver is not in black or avant-garde...

Fixed, thanks for the heads up.

ganeshaRules wrote:
Also, for clarity, I think Guitar hero should be exterminated (Axel Rudy Pell don't deserve that :D ) and the two stoner could be joined in one.

I agree about the guitar hero, but I don't know how to add or delete genres in the database. Will ask Chris.

I disagree about the two stoner genres though. You don't really think Electric Wizard, Sleep, etc. belong in the same genre with High on Fire, BLS, etc. do you?

ganeshaRules wrote:
Also, Progressive doom is really Sludge and Drone together, seems... Name really misleading.

Yeah, I would advocate progressive doom going bye bye altogether, and drone and sludge being added as separate genres. Once again, will ask Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:13 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Haha, found out how to do it! Of course, its been right under my nose the whole time.

I added Sludge and Drone, deleted Progressive Doom, and edited a few bands to fit in with these changes. I also edited the bands of both Stoner genres, so the lines are more clearly defined.

Since I didn't review any of the "guitar hero" bands, I'll ask Chris if he minds me editing the genres of those bands, because I can't delete a genre if a band is currently tied to it.

While we're at it, anybody have any suggestions of new genres that need to be added to the list? Grind and Post-Rock are the two that immediately come to my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 pm 
Einherjar

Adam wrote:
I disagree about the two stoner genres though. You don't really think Electric Wizard, Sleep, etc. belong in the same genre with High on Fire, BLS, etc. do you?

Well, they are really different genres, ok. But Napalm Death & Nasum are in the same genre than Death & Cynic, or Cannibal corpse, and them all appear under Death genre (with some melodeath bands).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:18 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

ganeshaRules wrote:
Well, they are really different genres, ok. But Napalm Death & Nasum are in the same genre than Death & Cynic, or Cannibal corpse, and them all appear under Death genre (with some melodeath bands).

Yeah, that's why I think we need to add Grind. Maybe Melodeath and Tech Death too, perhaps?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next