Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 am

Post subject: Seriously, Zad...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:12 am 
Metal King

...settle down with the reviews. I'm beginning to find that I can't take your words seriously. You uploaded 28 reviews in June and 25 in July. You've already done 16 this month. No way in hell you can review 69 albums in less than three months time and convince me you're not half-assing it.

Are these old reviews or what? I listen to music about 18 to 20 hours a day, and I couldn't write that many reviews and be honest about what I'm saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:23 am 
Ist Krieg

he is ruthless warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:52 am 
Metal King

Holy smokes! I didn't realize he reviewed so many. Nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 am 
Ist Krieg

About 6 a week and I read, since I'm interested, about 3 and they all seem to be pretty accurate. It impresses me but assures me that Zad doesn't have a fulltime job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Zad does have a full-time job, but Zad's been having some time off and has been putting it to good use.

I do enjoy writing for MR, I'll admit it. I also listen to lots of music - to and from work, in the evenings, even at work when I can - and what can I say, the words have been flowing recently. No reason they're any less believeable just because there's more of them - I listen to everything a few times and give everything a chance. Nice to know someone is paying attention to the little bands that otherwise might not get the exposure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 am 
It's like Zad is the errant jew and Ken's the gestapo! More more more !!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:58 am 
Metal King

Hey, if Zad's giving honest reviews and his opinion in the reviews isn't changing after, then that's cool. I used to give each album at least two weeks' worth of listening before writing a review. I also listen to a lot of music, pretty much all day, but I found it even hard to write three honest reviews a week. At least reviews with substance.

I just can't fathom doing nearly 70 reviews in less than three months. :unsure:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:03 am 
Einherjar

Quote:
he is ruthless warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:06 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Afro Lint wrote:
Hey, if Zad's giving honest reviews and his opinion in the reviews isn't changing after, then that's cool. I used to give each album at least two weeks' worth of listening before writing a review. I also listen to a lot of music, pretty much all day, but I found it even hard to write three honest reviews a week. At least reviews with substance.

I do get to know albums before writing about them, certainly. Some are on my playlist for weeks before I get around to them, it's not like I look at the tracklisting and then make it all up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:12 am 
Metal King

Zad wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

I do get to know albums before writing about them, certainly. Some are on my playlist for weeks before I get around to them, it's not like I look at the tracklisting and then make it all up...

But some reviewers do.

I'll be honest, I just find it hard to believe someone can write that many reviews. Not saying you can't, but I can't grasp the notion. If you're that prolific, maybe you should move on to something a bit more professional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:17 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Afro Lint wrote:
Zad wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

But some reviewers do.

I'll be honest, I just find it hard to believe someone can write that many reviews. Not saying you can't, but I can't grasp the notion. If you're that prolific, maybe you should move on to something a bit more professional?

And turn my back on poor old MetalReviews? I won't say that I haven't applied to a certain well-known underground music magazine, and that after getting good feedback the guy never replied to my emails or the letter I eventually sent out of frustration, because that would be a lie. Maybe I should drop Metal Hammer a line instead, or even Q...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 am 
Metal King

You won't make a living writing for music magazines. :lol: I was talking about writing in general, for other magazines/e-zines. Every thought about writing stories? You did that whole forum story once.

Take a lesson from me, don't wait until you're 30 to realize you probably shouldn't have wasted so many words on forums and whatnot. Haha!

http://www.shocktotem.com

As a for-instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Afro Lint wrote:
You won't make a living writing for music magazines. :lol: I was talking about writing in general, for other magazines/e-zines. Every thought about writing stories? You did that whole forum story once.

Take a lesson from me, don't wait until you're 30 to realize you probably shouldn't have wasted so many words on forums and whatnot. Haha!

http://www.shocktotem.com

As a for-instance.

I will totally spew forth a short story for this site of yours, just to see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:37 pm 
Metal King

Zad wrote:
I will totally spew forth a short story for this site of yours, just to see what happens.

You'll get no preferential treatment. Know that. And it must be within the dark fantasy/horror realm. But I encourage you to put something forth.

Launch will likely be in June of 2009. January or June, but I think January will come too quick. Plus I like the idea of the "year" running June to June and the anthology coming out that fall (first in 2010), right before Halloween and Christmas and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:07 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Afro Lint wrote:
Zad wrote:

You'll get no preferential treatment. Know that. And it must be within the dark fantasy/horror realm. But I encourage you to put something forth.

Launch will likely be in June of 2009. January or June, but I think January will come too quick. Plus I like the idea of the "year" running June to June and the anthology coming out that fall (first in 2010), right before Halloween and Christmas and such.

Ha! As if I'd get any. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you might have to remind me a little closer to the time, but I will do my damndest to write something for this site of yours. Heck, if I turn out to be good at it you can have the first one for free! :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:53 pm 
Metal Fighter

If you don't stop writing so many reviews you'll end up looking like that guy in your picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:06 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Wsx26 wrote:
If you don't stop writing so many reviews you'll end up looking like that guy in your picture.

I look like that already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:01 pm 
Karma Whore

Quote:
everything a few times

It's just this I don't like, it must take more than a 'few listens' to truly appreciate or understand an album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
Quote:
everything a few times

It's just this I don't like, it must take more than a 'few listens' to truly appreciate or understand an album.

I disagree. Unless it's some avant-garde/free jazz experiment, most albums give it all up by 3 listens at the most. Obviously, there's no limit to the amount of times you can listen to an album, but I don't think it's necessary to know an album by heart before you write a review of it.

I usually end up listening more than 3 times anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:07 pm 
Karma Whore

Zad wrote:
Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
Quote:
everything a few times

I disagree. Unless it's some avant-garde/free jazz experiment, most albums give it all up by 3 listens at the most. Obviously, there's no limit to the amount of times you can listen to an album, but I don't think it's necessary to know an album by heart before you write a review of it.

I usually end up listening more than 3 times anyways...

Perhaps.