Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 193  Next   
 Post subject: The General Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:30 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

For random, non-UK Election stuff that no-one really cares about. Karmo's fault, hate him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:19 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

My state congress passed a piece of legislation, making profiling more easy this week, I wonder where it will lead in the courts. I understand the immigration thing is quite sticky; I'm just not sure how this new technique for law enforcement will pan out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:40 pm 
Svartalfar

Canadians are the 4th largest nationality for being in the United States illegally. I think Arizona needs to demonstrate in their numbers that they are stopping a high proportion of Canadians or people who resemble Canadians or it's very obviously racial profiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:56 pm 
Ist Krieg

ssmt wrote:
Canadians are the 4th largest nationality for being in the United States illegally. I think Arizona needs to demonstrate in their numbers that they are stopping a high proportion of Canadians or people who resemble Canadians or it's very obviously racial profiling.

Err... Canada's border is in the north.

Whatever happened to common sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:16 pm 
Svartalfar

Who says Canadians will stay put in Northern states? They're wily people who like to take their fancy-pants hockey sticks to places like Phoenix.

Oh, and what about Polish people, who are ranked 10th by DHS for not having proper immigration status? They don't even SHARE a border with the United States, yet those sneaky bastards are probably starting up coffee shops in Flagstaff!

I'm being somewhat flippant, but the point stands. Unless the police in Arizona are checking *all* potential nationalities for violations, it is racial profiling, pure and simple. Moreover, requiring people of slightly different skin tones to carry "proof" of nationality isn't far off from certain dictatorships of the past century. It's a kneejerk moronic reaction to a problem by a state legislature too inept to deal with their real problems and trying to pander to their white base of fringe extremists.

Glad I don't live there anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm 
Ist Krieg

cry of the banshee wrote:
ssmt wrote:

Because Mexicans only stay in the Southern states?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:51 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

traptunderice wrote:
ssmt wrote:

This is somewhat of a true statement; however, I'm pretty sure you mean to say Southwestern states. Even so there is a huuuuge discrepancy between the representation of illegals as opposed to my state population. I don't think for one second we have any correct idea what to do, on top of that I think the proportion of legal residents/green card recipients is another example of a fault in the system. When I read DHS the last time the recipients of LPR status was something like 1.1 million. If one looks at the statistics the higher concentration of "illegals" would have to be in California (2.6 mil) and Texas (1.6 mil), yet Arizona is thrown into the spotlight because of this new bill?!?!?!I think they should actually address the issue of citizenship, instead of this bullshit wild goose change with this failed piece of legislation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm 
Svartalfar

I find it intriguing that the Republicans behind this piece of legislation never suggest punishing those who employ undocumented workers.

I'm going through immigration myself to Canada and it's, shall we say, the opposite of fun. But frankly, with all the intricacies of immigration law, the regular police force in Arizona is ill equipped to determine validity of one's presence in the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 am 
Ist Krieg

Citizenship is probably the best course, I agree. Experiencing the fun of taxes and auto insurance should be a joy for all Americans. Punishing employers of illegals would make sense too, however the fallout would be massive, I imagine.

--And as for you, Chedsey, goodbye. The country will survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:00 pm 
Svartalfar

emperorblackdoom wrote:
--And as for you, Chedsey, goodbye. The country will survive.

I dunno, I left and the Great Recession kicked in. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:09 pm 
Ist Krieg

stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
traptunderice wrote:
ssmt wrote:

This is somewhat of a true statement; however, I'm pretty sure you mean to say Southwestern states.
I meant southwestern states because that's what the border touches and what V was saying. Yet Mexicans do travel across the country, working wherever they can not just in those 5-6 states he assumed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:49 am 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
traptunderice wrote:
ssmt wrote:

This is somewhat of a true statement; however, I'm pretty sure you mean to say Southwestern states.
I meant southwestern states because that's what the border touches and what V was saying. Yet Mexicans do travel across the country, working wherever they can not just in those 5-6 states he assumed.

I never "assumed" any such thing, but if you think that the vast majority of illegal Mexicans is anywhere but the SW bordering states, than you're either stoned or fucking stupid.
WTF, I live in Cali, you don't think I know what's up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:14 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Ladies and gentlemen, the Ukrainian Parliament:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SfCRyLlyqJI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:27 am 
Ist Krieg

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -arizonas/

The nerve of that sonofabitch Calderon, and our sissified milquetoast president just eats it without a word of rebuke.

Pathetic.

What this country needs is an American Putin, instead we get effeminate pigeon-hearted weaklings all too willing to grab their dainty little ankles before ineffective third-world pissants like Calderon, et al.
So, it is now illegal to break the law... gee, who'da thunkit?
And the leader of that bastion of law, order, justice and ethics south of the border has something to say about it?

Is it any wonder the country is circling the drain?

Whatever gods there be, may they help us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:31 am 
Ist Krieg

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/03/mexicos-illegals-laws-tougher-than-arizonas/

The nerve of that sonofabitch Calderon, and our sissified milquetoast president just eats it without a word of rebuke.

Pathetic.

What this country needs is an American Putin, instead we get effeminate pigeon-hearted weaklings all too willing to grab their dainty little ankles before ineffective third-world pissants like Calderon, et al.
And the leader of that bastion of law, order, justice and ethics south of the border has something to say about it?

I wouldn't go so far as to advocate an American Putin but I agree in principle.

There is simply no federal solution to the border problem, after all, democrats won't vote for it because Latinos and their do-gooder allies on the left get agitated at the mere mention of a more effective bottleneck to stop the flow. So...Arizona had to take matters into its own hands and overreached. *I just wish all of the outraged gringos who support their Mexican brethren would experience having their car wrecked by an illegal too*

I can't blame Calderon for speaking out though--it makes him look better back home and he wants the uninterrupted flow of illegals to lessen his burdens with overpopulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:55 am 
Ist Krieg

emperorblackdoom wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/03/mexicos-illegals-laws-tougher-than-arizonas/

Pathetic.

There is simply no federal solution to the border problem, after all, democrats won't vote for it because Latinos and their do-gooder allies on the left get agitated at the mere mention of a more effective bottleneck to stop the flow. So...Arizona had to take matters into its own hands and overreached. *I just wish all of the outraged gringos who support their Mexican brethren would experience having their car wrecked by an illegal too*

I can't blame Calderon for speaking out though--it makes him look better back home and he wants the uninterrupted flow of illegals to lessen his burdens with overpopulation.

Not only that, the dollars the illegals send back home is very good for the Mexican economy. While the tax dollars they use in lieu of services that could otherwise be used for this country's own citizens... not so good for us.
Fuck Calderon in the ear. Then, fuck him in the other ear. Obammy, too.
The bottom line is, this country can't even take care of it's own people, and the last thing it needs is an influx of unskilled, uneducated third-world underclass just looking to exploit it, that don't even speak the language, mind you, while flooding our facilities, using our resources, having a brood of "anchor" babies and (what it boils down to) breaking our laws. And demanding that we accomodate them.
If nothing else, it's a matter of principle, and our politicians are selling us out (yet again) in the hope of a new corner of the political market to exploit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 am 
Ist Krieg

emperorblackdoom wrote:

Pathetic.

Not only that, the dollars the illegals send back home is very good for the Mexican economy. While the tax dollars they use in lieu of services that could otherwise be used for this country's own citizens... not so good for us.
Fuck Calderon in the ear. Then, fuck him in the other ear. Obammy, too.
The bottom line is, this country can't even take care of it's own people, and the last thing it needs is an influx of unskilled, uneducated third-world underclass just looking to exploit it, that don't even speak the language, mind you, while flooding our facilities, using our resources, having a brood of "anchor" babies and (what it boils down to) breaking our laws. And demanding that we accomodate them.
If nothing else, it's a matter of principle, and our politicians are selling us out (yet again) in the hope of a new corner of the political market to exploit.

The sending money back home point was a good one. I think the bottom line though is that American big business can never get its hands on enough cheap Mexican laborers to exploit and so you'll never grass-roots right-wing movements successfully take on both the left and the right establishment.

So...big business gets what it wants while America divides into virulent 'multiculturalism'. When the southwest irredentist movements fully split the country in a few decades the multi-national corps will laugh as they take their billions to the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I would be interested to hear any historical examples at all of problems to which a "grassroots right wing movement" was or should have been the best answer.

The "problem" (such as it is: millions of people coming in to work in the service sector at extremely low wages is a problem for US workers, but not for US businesses or US consumers) is surely the demand of American employers for- and their ability to get- extremely cheap below-the-board labour.

Therefore the solution is a simple and logical one: an enforceable minimum wage that can provide a living standard for US citizens, and (shock horror) representative mechanisms in the workplace (i.e. unions or other employee associations) that can enforce these standards on a thorough and daily basis. Thus: a rational meritocracy! No labour arbitrage by employers bringing in people who can be forced to work cheaper because of their shady situation. Everybody is judged on their ability to do the job. And everybody who does the job pays taxes and in return is genuinely entitled to use government services.

I mean, perhaps this sounds optimistic- but would bet my Celtic Frost albums that if when you look at the workplaces where there is the most exploitation of undocumented migrants in the worst conditions, they are also the workplaces where labour strength is lowest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 am 
MetalReviews Staff

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... mmentators

Have some water for your oily flames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:28 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I agree with her that whenever The Daily Show covers events outside the US it can be pretty patronising (no doubt many people would say when it covers American events, as well). Which makes it all the weirder the way Stewart was so fawning and worshipful of Tony Blair when he was a guest on the show...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 193  Next