Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 pm 
Metal Lord

Zadok wrote:
Looong story, but basically am a laissez-faire atheist (as opposed to a Richard Dawkins-'ghooouls attack the church/crush the holy priest'-type) who thinks people should be able to believe in whatever they like as long as it doesn't impact in my life in a significant way. Have plenty of respect for religion and religion art, love old churches, Extol's last album was pretty good, etc.

These kinds atheists are the kind i love and respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:00 am 
Metal Servant

In Norway is there still a strong tradition of honoring the Norse gods and if so does it ever conflict with modern day Christianity in the country?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 am 
Karma Whore

The Necrodude wrote:
DevotedWalnut wrote:
I don't hate religion, I just hate the people that practice/believe in it/one.

Ya dig?

Why do you hate me?

To be fair he hates everyone :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:27 am 
Metal Lord

scumbag wrote:
In Norway is there still a strong tradition of honoring the Norse gods and if so does it ever conflict with modern day Christianity in the country?

No not really, the old gods are pretty much dead and buried here. There is one NS Nazi-ish group called Vigrid that still worship the old gods, but no one really cares about them anymore. I had completely forgotten about them until i read about them in the paper recently. The gods are only kept alive by Enslaved and the like really. Apart from the rare Odanist or Asatru follower the pagan community is practically non-existent.

Last edited by The Necrodude on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:40 am 
Metal Lord

MetalStorm wrote:
The Necrodude wrote:
DevotedWalnut wrote:

Ya dig?

Why do you hate me?

Oh, i see :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 am 
Metal Servant

To the war god Odin you will pray!

I just modern Norway was like the movie Conan the Barbarian. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 am 
Einherjar

The Necrodude wrote:
DevotedWalnut wrote:

Ya dig?

Why do you hate me? You don't even know me... You think having a belief in something higher than yourself is irrational right? Isn't it just as irrational or maybe even more so to hate 80%+ of the worlds people just because they don't see the world the way you do? Have the same creed or whatever as you do?

Ah yes the rationality argument. Is it rational to believe in something for which there is absolutely no evidence? Conversely is it rational not to believe in something despite being in the minority?

Of course rationality is entirely subjective so this argument has no real merit. Now if you could objectively express why Walnut is wrong to think the way he does we could get somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:40 pm 
The Commish

The Necrodude wrote:
MetalStorm wrote:
The Necrodude wrote:
DevotedWalnut wrote:

Ya dig?

Why do you hate me?

Oh, i see :lol:

I've mellowed with age.

Post subject: Re: Religion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:13 pm 
Einherjar

Christianity has always been a sweet poison. The feeling of community and promise of eternal life are all neatly wrapped around a bronze age fable in a leather-bound hymnal. It's innocent enough at first, but history has shown that blind faith produces some very bloody consequences. I've always tried to educate myself on Christian practices and the secular history surrounding the Bible so as not be deceived by the faithful and faithless alike. As for music, I'll side with the great Duke Ellington, "There are only two kinds of music: good and bad."

Post subject: Re: Religion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:14 am 
Einherjar

I'm an atheist, but I actually know where the basis for religion comes from. Okay, I'll tell you. It's biolelectical energy and it's interaction between the bones, muscles, endocrine and nervous system. It's possible to store electrical charge (as in electrons) in the body and when this is done to the third eye (pineal gland) in conjunction with charging the respiratory system to breathe properly, you can have extremely profound religious experiences and when you are really good at it you can communicate telepathically. It goes extremely well with such phenomena as automatic writing/drawing. I have actually drawn diagrams that were of an extremely advanced scientific nature, such as the feyman diagram of how quantum mechanics works long before actually reading about it or understanding it. Same thing with supersymmetry.

All religion is is introducing people to a tiny fraction of this type of knowledge and manipulating people based on their sense of awe and influencing their politics in directions that do not benefit them.