Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193  Next   
 Post subject: Re: The General Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:36 pm 
Ist Krieg

cry of the banshee wrote:
huskerc7 wrote:
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/us-world-news/53494647-story

absolutely ridiculous and outrageous.

Clock boy and his family deserve nothing more than a good whipping and deportation. The whole thing was a hoax designed to extort money from the state.

Exactly. More fucking bullshit so that "white people" look racist.

It's obvious this is just smart-aleck bullshit that the kid and his family are pulling in a post 9/11 world.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 pm 
Ist Krieg

huskerc7 wrote:
cry of the banshee wrote:
huskerc7 wrote:
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/us-world-news/53494647-story

absolutely ridiculous and outrageous.

Clock boy and his family deserve nothing more than a good whipping and deportation. The whole thing was a hoax designed to extort money from the state.

Exactly. More fucking bullshit so that "white people" look racist.

It's obvious this is just smart-aleck bullshit that the kid and his family are pulling in a post 9/11 world.

http://libertynews.com/2015/09/boy-geni ... -build-it/

Fuck him and his whole family and the camel they rode in on

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:33 am 
Ist Krieg

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
The West is in a difficult situation here, especially post-Paris. On one hand, you don't help the refugees and appear to be a heartless and intolerant bastard, but on the other hand, you allow the huddled Syrian masses inside the country and almost certainly bring undercover ISIS agents in along with them. It's going to be tremendously difficult to properly vet every one of the oncoming refugees considering the foreseeable nightmare of extracting accurate personal records from Syria and other parts unknown. And as we have seen, it only takes a few dudes to reek some serious havoc. While no one wants to see innocent families suffer, government takes a HUGE risk by allowing these folks inside the borders. If he somehow manages to undue the congressional blockage on new refugees, Obama would be publicly fucking castrated if a Paris-like incident were to occur in the U.S.

This is where I basically am at now too. The whole situation is a giant clusterfuck and the best solutions will involve the West avoiding overreactions while prodding the terrorist groups to overplay their hand. Delicate, difficult balance.

Another example of ridiculous microaggressions: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/university-ottawa-yoga-cultural-sensitivity-1.3330441

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:45 pm 
Ist Krieg

North From Here wrote:

i saw this and thought it was funny but apparently it is wrong
http://murkygreenwaters.com/2015/11/24/ ... -response/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:00 am 
Einherjar

noodles wrote:

Not surprising. News media in general cares more about timeliness of reporting than pretty much anything else. Facts can be cleared up later or simply ignored and passed over for the next day's news. This is nothing new and political bias has existed in media since the days of the broadsides.

It is kind of funny that after rebuking the claims of cultural appropriation in the first few paragraphs, the author then takes his next paragraph to frame Western yoga AS appropriation (according to South Asians, of course!). I doubt all the middle-aged soccer moms who attend yoga classes on the regular are there to diminish the culture that the practice has been drawn from. Perhaps all the health benefits, stress release and social interaction centered around yoga play a role in it's popularity. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 am 
Ist Krieg

yeah the post took an odd tack of "this incident isn't people complaining about yoga being cultural appropriation" and then "but also yoga is cultural appropriation" (or, it wasn't just one person complaining about yoga being cultural appropriation. i guess that'd be more relevant?)

i think soccer moms could still diminish a cultural without intending to diminish it. like ignoring stuff about the culture because you only want some aspects of it diminishes it?? (e.g. white metal bands taking the sounds of black metal but leaving out the anti-christianity is sort of appropriation?? or the obvious thing of people wearing headdresses because they're pretty. they're not trying to diminish anyone's culture but they're still doin it wrong) i dunno. i'm pretty hazy about the cultural appropriation thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:46 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

"Cultural appropriation" as a concept is a daft one, I feel (quick, stop white people playing jazz... or most musical instruments!) but this still takes the biscuit for most daft, I feel:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ing-bodies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm 
Ist Krieg

Chicago is protesting now after they released a video of a cop murdering some black guy on PCP who was holding a knife...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:56 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
(quick, stop white people playing jazz... or most musical instruments!)

i dunno if it's an issue of can't. i've seen articles on facebook talking about appropriation vs appreciation although i didn't understand what the distinction was

the trans stuff is interesting to me because on one hand transabled or transracial sounds a bit absurd but on the other i can't think of a solid reason why it's a different kind of thing than being transgendered

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm 
Ist Krieg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:24 am 
Ist Krieg

huskerc7 wrote:
Chicago is protesting now after they released a video of a cop murdering some black guy on PCP who was holding a knife...

The cop and city fucked up.
At any rate, at this point, The Boy Who Cried Wolf comes to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:32 pm 
Ist Krieg

Pretty even-handed treatment on the misguided movement to remove Woodrow Wilson from Princeton's history: loved this line

Quote:
The students, about 15 of whom occupied the current president’s office in protest, are also insisting that the university impose a course on “the history of marginalized peoples,” which, if you haven’t spent much time on an elite campus lately, is also known as the entire humanities curriculum.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/don-39-t-erase-woodrow-wilson-1307774047436854.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:45 am 
Einherjar

North From Here wrote:
Pretty even-handed treatment on the misguided movement to remove Woodrow Wilson from Princeton's history: loved this line

Quote:
The students, about 15 of whom occupied the current president’s office in protest, are also insisting that the university impose a course on “the history of marginalized peoples,” which, if you haven’t spent much time on an elite campus lately, is also known as the entire humanities curriculum.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/don-39-t-erase-woodrow-wilson-1307774047436854.html

That was probably the most intelligent article that I've ever read on Yahoo and I think the author's suggestion is a fair compromise.

Personally, I really enjoyed this quote:
Quote:
This, amid a rash of similar protests around the country, is what university educators everywhere might call a “teachable moment” — if only they can summon the courage to actually teach.

As the author alluded to, history is indeed a messy business and there are no figures in ancient or modern times that could exist in the Disney-esque perfection that so many young people seem to be demanding nowadays. We go back to Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson's image and influence loom large in the public conscience and his words "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" form the very foundation of the American identity. His statues and engraved likenesses stand for his myriad of accomplishments and debt in the creation of the Republic not for his personal faults, of which there were many. Jefferson wasn't a cruel man and didn't relish in the dehumanization or suffering of African people. He was actually instrumental in the country's efforts to criminalize the international slave trade and the eventual ban of the practice. Jefferson didn't push for the abolition of slavery largely due to his fears of a freedmen rebellion and to the economic stability which slavery provided to Southern plantation owners, himself included. Jefferson's debts were many and, selfish though it may be, the monetary collateral provided by his slaves was essential in keeping him out of financial ruin. But Jefferson wasn't the only president to have dealings in the practice of slavery. George Washington bought and sold slaves his entire life and U.S. Grant's family owned slaves until the practice was abolished in 1865. Do we remove their statues and likenesses as well? How about Martin Luther King, Jr. who was a womanizer and a known plagiarist? No. Teachable moments, folks. We understand their great triumphs and learn from their mistakes and take their thoughts and actions in the context of their own time. As the author states, these students have grown up in a time that eschews moral complexity. They see the world in black and white extremes, no pun intended. Time for educators to stop placating the children and impart some actual life lessons that will carry over into their students' adult lives.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:35 pm 
Ist Krieg

womanizing and plagiarism aren't quite on the same level as owning slaves and raping them tho

also if it's teachable moments then shouldn't the plaques next to great figures be more of a "pros and cons" rather than just a "pros"? like "even though he did this and this and this, we still honour him because he embodies the american ideals of this and this"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:04 am 
Einherjar

noodles wrote:
womanizing and plagiarism aren't quite on the same level as owning slaves and raping them tho

Sure. Simply illustrating the point that the accomplishments of historical peoples should not be diminished or discounted based solely on the unattractive nature of their character flaws. Also, I assume you throw the rape accusation out there in reference to Jefferson's alleged affair with the slave girl Sally Hemmings. From what I've read, most of the "hard" evidence levied at Jefferson has either been loose speculation or just plain bad scholarship. Not saying the affair couldn't have happened, but it's definitely not an irrefutable truth as many have stated. A very good book on the subject, if you're interested, is Framing a Legend by Andrew Holowchak.

noodles wrote:
also if it's teachable moments then shouldn't the plaques next to great figures be more of a "pros and cons" rather than just a "pros"? like "even though he did this and this and this, we still honour him because he embodies the american ideals of this and this"

That's pretty much the same solution the author of the Yahoo article gave in regards to the Woodrow Wilson issue at Princeton, which I agree would be a fair compromise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:06 pm 
Ist Krieg

http://www.theawl.com/2015/12/access-denied

an interesting article about how politicians/celebrities/video games/filmmakers don't really need journalists any more because the internet has made it easy for them to communicate directly with their audience. i definitely noticed this a few years ago with music: listening to a song on myspace is much more helpful than reading a review for determining what a band sounds like and whether it's of interest to me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:55 am 
Einherjar

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/the-graham-norton-show/video-extras/season-18/episode-16-episode-16/ice-cube-weighs-in-on-oscar-controversy

Hah. Isn't it ironic and appropriate that Ice Cube would be the voice of reason amidst all the bluster directed at the Oscars this year?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:31 am 
Einherjar

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/us/flint-michigan-water-crisis-race-poverty/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork

:lol:

A monumental screw-up by the city and the local DEQ morphs into an insidious plot of such cartoonish magnitude it would befit only the most wicked Bond villain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:59 pm 
Einherjar

Hey Zad, how's this whole Brexit business been playing out in your neck of the woods? From all the reports, it seems like most of the country has been incredibly divided on the "Leave" decision.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:05 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
Hey Zad, how's this whole Brexit business been playing out in your neck of the woods? From all the reports, it seems like most of the country has been incredibly divided on the "Leave" decision.

It's been interesting for sure! Was a cautious leave voter myself and expected a remain victory, as did much of the commentators apparently so everyone was in mild shock at first! Been talk from some of a second referendum but think that's a bit hysterical personally. In the hands of politicians now to get a good deal and start the uncoupling from the EU whilst doing as little harm as possible to the economy. Going to be a fun decade coming up...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193  Next