Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next   
 Post subject: Re: Profiles Of The Damned - Newcomers, step this way...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
Einherjar

heatseeker wrote:
Real first name: Nate
Job/school?: High...school student
Favourite five bands of the moment: Protest the Hero, Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy, Sigur Ros, The Black Dahlia Murder
Current favourite album: Emarosa--Relativity
Non-musical interests: Amigos, basketball, longboarding...school takes up a fuckload of time
How you discovered Metal: I listened to Dream Theater with a friend, then I got into Tool and System of a Down
How you discovered Metal Reviews: googling "dream theater reviews" har har
Gen. info: I'm pretty much a loser that wastes time on here to avoid schoolwork. blach

lol at myself circa 08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:40 pm 
I live with my parents!

AlexandeR wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
AlexandeR wrote:
The eagle has landed...

:D

You should post a pic of yourself. It's cool to have a mental image of the people you talk to. We now know that noodles is a dancing unicorn who uses sexy sweaters (demonstrated by emperorblackdoom in other thread), so it would be nice to know how the philosophizing eagle looks like.

I will, then. I just need to figure out how. I've never done it before... Do I need to make a link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:
AlexandeR wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
AlexandeR wrote:
The eagle has landed...

:D

You should post a pic of yourself. It's cool to have a mental image of the people you talk to. We now know that noodles is a dancing unicorn who uses sexy sweaters (demonstrated by emperorblackdoom in other thread), so it would be nice to know how the philosophizing eagle looks like.

I will, then. I just need to figure out how. I've never done it before... Do I need to make a link?

Just need to upload the image to Photobucket or something similar. Then copy the link (the 4th one). It's easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm 
I live with my parents!

Milan wrote:
Cool, I never knew you were a Psychology student too.

I'm very sorry I just saw you post. Yes... I'm not particularity enjoying it all that much, it's more a career thing for me so I can help people. I don't think a lot of definitions we learn in Psychology will be used all that much in the practical sense later on in sessions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:
Milan wrote:

I'm very sorry I just saw you post. Yes... I'm not particularity enjoying it all that much, it's more a career thing for me so I can help people. I don't think a lot of definitions we learn in Psychology will be used all that much in the practical sense later on in sessions.

Although I'm only in my second year of my studies I can already see where you're coming from. There are definitely some interesting bits here and there (in the courses I'm taking, I'm not talking about psychology as a whole) but so far the emphasis is mostly on the scientific and methodological aspects. I'm hoping that'll change in the near future though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:19 pm 
I live with my parents!

Milan wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
Milan wrote:

Although I'm only in my second year of my studies I can already see where you're coming from. There are definitely some interesting bits here and there (in the courses I'm taking, I'm not talking about psychology as a whole) but so far the emphasis is mostly on the scientific and methodological aspects. I'm hoping that'll change in the near future though.

Yes... That's the reason I'm minoring in Philosophy. The root of all genuine Psychology comes from Philosophy and from understanding behaviors in a purely pragmatical and empirical sense ( apart from the fact that my first love is Philosophy). I'm also enjoying a lot of my non-Psychology courses much, much more than my actual Psychology courses which is a shame to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 pm 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:
Milan wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
Milan wrote:

Yes... That's the reason I'm minoring in Philosophy. The root of all genuine Psychology comes from Philosophy and from understanding behaviors in a purely pragmatical and empirical sense ( apart from the fact that my first love is Philosophy). I'm also enjoying a lot of my non-Psychology courses much, much more than my actual Psychology courses which is a shame to begin with.

This is definitely true. I've had an "introduction to philosophy" as it was called officially which I found to be very interesting. I wish they had expanded more on that than on statistics for example.
Indeed it is too bad that you're not really enjoying your Psychology courses but I'm glad that you at least found a way, via your Phylosophy minor, to combine the good with the bad, so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 pm 
I live with my parents!

Milan wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
Milan wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
Milan wrote:

This is definitely true. I've had an "introduction to philosophy" as it was called officially which I found to be very interesting. I wish they had expanded more on that than on statistics for example.
Indeed it is too bad that you're not really enjoying your Psychology courses but I'm glad that you at least found a way, via your Phylosophy minor, to combine the good with the bad, so to speak.

Oh I hate statistics so much. I generally don't have a way with mathematics at all other than how it can explain the nature of infinity. Thank you... I guess I have found a way out of the dryness of Psychology to reach a point where I can make money out of it. I just wish common jobs paid more because the whole spectrum of going to university has lost its purposes in the 21st century and it has totally become a money-making business for the majority of the population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:
the whole spectrum of going to university has lost its purposes in the 21st century and it has totally become a money-making business for the majority of the population.

Indeed. People now go to the University to gain a paper so they could make more 'paper' in their jobs, not because of the will to learn and cultivate the mind and spirit. I remember a paragraph in Nietzsche's Antichrist, where he was whining how the XIX century men where inferior to the Renaissance men. I wonder what would he think of XXI men... :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:06 pm 
I live with my parents!

AlexandeR wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:
the whole spectrum of going to university has lost its purposes in the 21st century and it has totally become a money-making business for the majority of the population.

Indeed. People now go to the University to gain a paper so they could make more 'paper' in their jobs, not because of the will to learn and cultivate the mind and spirit. I remember a paragraph in Nietzsche's Antichrist, where he was whining how the XIX century men where inferior to the Renaissance men. I wonder what would he think of XXI men... :sad:

Well, of course. The Renaissance were the golden years in history no matter how one looks at it. Nietzsche was obviously right and his philosophy would fit our 21st century mentality perfectly. Although Nietzsche did not like a lot of things in life due to his very poor health and the stress he was under all of his life.

Last edited by SilkCrimsonMoon on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:06 pm 
Einherjar

Although I agree that most people go to university just to get a diploma for the sake of it, some actually go to university because they really want to expand their knowledge on a specific subject.
But yeah, most universities are mostly about the money these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm 
I live with my parents!

Milan wrote:
Although I agree that most people go to university just to get a diploma for the sake of it, some actually go to university because they really want to expand their knowledge on a specific subject.
But yeah, most universities are mostly about the money these days.

The most passionate people I have seen are in the arts studying music or theater. Those two subject don't exactly have a bright future in our days. One either has to be very lucky or get the recognition one deserves well down the road when it should have and must have happened a lot earlier. In European countries you can see a lot of extremely talented artists painting or drawing on the street corners and what not which is a huge shame. It goes to show what direction the 21st century has taken with politics, money and war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 am 
Metal Slave

Real first name: Sean
Job/school?: Dishwasher at a local cooking-related company, currently finishing high school and eventually applying for college somewhere
Favorite bands: Iron Maiden, Cynic, King Diamond, Soundgarden, Soilent Green
Current favorite album: Endstille's Verführer
Non-musical interests: The arcade, science fiction, history
How you discovered Metal: Forgot how, but I discovered Iron Maiden when I was 11 or so. A neighbor of mine actually showed me Pantera, but I didn't listen to much outside of Maiden until I was 15, where I got into Megadeth and Sodom. A year or so later I was listening to pretty much everything.
How you discovered Metal Reviews: Was tired of reading very biased reviews of Atheist's Jupiter (crying about production and the fact Roger Patterson died and therefore bass sucked), and in looking for a more balanced review that referenced the actual songs, I found the site.
Gen. info: I'm a nice guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:55 pm 
Ist Krieg

Jupiter was sick. You did the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 am 
Metal Slave

Real first name: James

Job/school?: Part-time at local bottle shop (liquor store) - Professional Writing degree on hiatus

Favorite bands: Opeth, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond (counts as 1), Death

Current favorite album: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

Non-musical interests: Reading fantasy, writing reviews, video games (Nintendo), basketball, drumming

How you discovered Metal: Used to listen to mainstream alternative crap (contradiction in terms, but you know it exists) then managed to discover A Perfect Circle - that led to Tool circa 2000, Lateralus remained my favourite album for about 4 years, then I discovered Opeth on the recommendation of a friend. Never looked back - nothing is too brutal!

How you discovered Metal Reviews: Pretty sure I was looking for more reviews to confirm my long-held view that Opeth are metal gods. And found them :D

Gen. info: I tend to not get involved in arguments, as they're largely pointless affairs - hence I hate politics, although I do consider myself left-wing. I generally spend too much time playing games (yes, Guitar Hero is awesome), and various other nerd-related activities. I have sweet long hair, but it's super thick and gets fucking knotted like a bitch. And you know how they get knotted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:04 pm 
Metal Fighter

Might as well............

Real first name: Mitch
Job/school?: Cook/Maitenance
Favorite five bands of the moment: Iced Earth, Septic Flesh. Drudkh, Negator, Moonsorrow
Current favorite album: Drudkh-Autumn Aurora
Non-musical interests: Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Outdoors, Music, Reading, Horror Movies
How you discovered Metal: Older siblings listened to grunge, nirvana,pearl jam, etc... Then I heard Metallica in the 4th grade and become hooked
How you discovered Metal Reviews: A friend in High School
Gen. info: This site is awesome in my opinion.. Even though i did not join until recently i have used this site to find new bands and make purchasing decisions since around 2004/2005.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 pm 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

still_life wrote:

Job/school?: Part-time at local bottle shop (liquor store) - Professional Writing degree on hiatus

Favorite bands: Opeth, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond (counts as 1), Death

Non-musical interests: Reading fantasy, writing reviews, video games (Nintendo), basketball, drumming

How you discovered Metal: Used to listen to mainstream alternative crap (contradiction in terms, but you know it exists) then managed to discover A Perfect Circle - that led to Tool circa 2000, Lateralus remained my favourite album for about 4 years, then I discovered Opeth on the recommendation of a friend. Never looked back - nothing is too brutal!

How you discovered Metal Reviews: Pretty sure I was looking for more reviews to confirm my long-held view that Opeth are metal gods. And found them :D

Gen. info: I tend to not get involved in arguments, as they're largely pointless affairs - hence I hate politics, although I do consider myself left-wing. I generally spend too much time playing games (yes, Guitar Hero is awesome), and various other nerd-related activities. I have sweet long hair, but it's super thick and gets fucking knotted like a bitch. And you know how they get knotted.

WCE of Freo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm 
Metal Slave

Rhys wrote:
still_life wrote:

WCE of Freo?

Haha! Of course, the most important question...the answer to which is...WE'RE FLYING HIGH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:36 pm 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

still_life wrote:
Rhys wrote:
still_life wrote:

WCE of Freo?

Haha! Of course, the most important question...the answer to which is...WE'RE FLYING HIGH

I would quote our song but we won't know what it is for a while....lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next