Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next   
 Post subject: Re: Mixed Martial Arts... Any Fans?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 am 
The Commish

Khabib and Cerrone have verbally agreed to fight this summer. I think Khabib proposed UFC 187, rumoured to be the event that Aldo-McGregor fight.

I think Bendo should of won that fight, but it was really close. I like both guys, so I was not disappointed by Cerrone getting the nod. Now Bobby Green is hurt and out of his fight with Jorge Masvidal, Henderson will take his spot. So a quick turnaround for him.

and a bunch of big fights have been booked the last few days/weeks, like:
Dillashaw-Barao 2
Carla Esparza-Joanna Jedrezecjeck (probably spelled that wrong)
Rory Mac-Hector Lombard
Johny Hendricks-Matt Brown
Urijah Faber-Raphael Assuncao
Ben Saunders-Erick Silva
Demian Maia- Ryan Laflare
Lyoto Machida-Luke Rockhold
Michael Bisping-CB Dolloway
Rampage-Fabio Maldonado
Chad Mendes-Ricardo Lamas
Holly Holm-Raquel Pennington

plus a bunch more, but those are the biggest "names".

And Mirko Cro Cop is back in the UFC. Signed earlier this week.

Over in Bellator, King Mo is moving up to heavyweight to fight Cheick Kongo and Fedor told Scott Coker that he as no intentions to return to fighting at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 am 
Einherjar

DevotedWalnut wrote:
And Mirko Cro Cop is back in the UFC. Signed earlier this week.

Bellator had expressed interest in picking up old man Filopovic earlier this month before Dana snagged him up, the shrewd bastard. Cro Cop said he wanted to settle a few scores before he hung up the left high kick for good. Hopefully, Dana gives him Gonzaga, Schaub and/or Big Country and then Mirko calls it a career. I don't think a rematch against either Mark Hunt or JDS would end well for him.

Llamas-Mendes and Faber-Assuncao should be a pair of awesome fights. Was really looking forward to Jacare-Rockhold, but Machida is a more than adequate replacement. Lombard-McDonald should be a good one too.

Last edited by Thrash til' Deth on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 am 
The Commish

Jacare was supposed to fight Yoel Romero at UFC 184 or 185 but was forced from the fight due to pneumonia. UFC says they will post-pone the fight to a later date.

I think Cro Cop-Big Nog could make sense. Nogueira still wants one more fight. Arlovski-Cro Cop could be good too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 am 
The Commish

oh and Ben Saunders vs Erick Silva will be amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:36 am 
Einherjar

DevotedWalnut wrote:
Jacare was supposed to fight Yoel Romero at UFC 184 or 185 but was forced from the fight due to pneumonia. UFC says they will post-pone the fight to a later date.

Yeah, that's right. Don't know why I thought he was fighting Rockhold. Speaking of MW title contenders, Dana has said he will give Spider Silva a shot at the belt if he beats Diaz. Legend status aside, Silva should have to go through at least one of the top 5 guys before he gets a crack at the belt again IMO. I'd say give him the loser of Weidman-Belfort and if he wins that fight, then give him a title shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:17 pm 
Metal King

Soon flying to Stockholm to watch Fight Night: Gustafsson vs Johnson. Gonna be awesome.

My picks:
Gustafsson, Mousasi, Davis, Sicilia, Musoke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:02 am 
Einherjar

Tompa wrote:
Soon flying to Stockholm to watch Fight Night: Gustafsson vs Johnson. Gonna be awesome.

My picks:
Gustafsson, Mousasi, Davis, Sicilia, Musoke

Johnson's gas tank will be the X factor here against the cardio Viking Gustaffson. He does have significant KO power but Gus also has a rock solid chin and his excellent boxing/spacing skills will definitely give Rumble big problems. I'm predicting either a third round KO or sub for the Mauler and a rematch against Bones.

Henderson has a shot against the much lighter Mousasi if he can turn the fight into a brawl. Hendo still has a solid clinch game but I believe Gegard will be smart enough to stay away from him and work strikes in and out of Dan's range. I agree with a Mousasi win, but Henderson still has a puncher's chance with the power of the H-Bomb still as potent as ever.

The match between Davis and Bader is a must-win for both guys if they are to stay relevant in the LHW title picture. This has decision written all over it and, if his mind is right, Phil should be able to outpoint the slower Bader and get the victory.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:39 pm 
Einherjar

Anybody lose money on the main event last night? Huge upset with Anthony Johnson dropping a first round KO on a surprisingly overwhelmed Alexander Gustaffson. I expected Rumble to come out early with some power shots but I didn't think he would ever run over such a talented boxer like Gustaffson. Talk about a statement fight. Since totally committing to LHW, Johnson's career has gone through an amazing renaissance and with this win now finds himself in a title bout against Jonny Bones. Gus, for his part, was gracious in defeat and a total class act in the post-fight interviews. Tompa you can take the bag off your head now. :wink:

The Hendo-Mousasi match was probably stopped a bit too early after Dan got dropped by a grazing hook, but the outcome really wouldn't have been any different had the ref let it go. Mousasi was firmly in control of the fight and would have really pounded Dan had it went any further. Henderson said he will continue to fight, but the question is will it still be with the UFC? He's lost five out of his last six and doesn't look to be evolving his game anytime soon. Bellator and WSOF are waiting in the wings.

Davis-Bader went to decision as expected, but it was Darth B who came out on top after catching Davis in a monster suplex at the end of the fight. If Davis had just stayed away instead of throwing that ill-advised flying knee and putting himself in trouble, he more than likely would have gotten the decision. Even though Bader's punches had clearly done more damage, Phil was ahead on strikes landed by a wide margin. Regardless, it was a huge win for Ryan who is back in the thick of the LHW title race. Mr. Wonderful will now go back to being Jon Jones' official troll.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 pm 
Einherjar

Pretty bad-ass for a big metalhead like Barnett to have Bolt Thrower as one of your biggest supporters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:30 am 
Einherjar

Anderson Silva reportedly tests positive for anabolic steroids in the wake of his victory at UFC 183. Say it isn't so, Spider? :sad:

But most shocking of all (drumroll...), Nick Diaz is once again popped for marijuana usage.

Any bets that Diaz will be fired and Anderson still given the chance at a title shot?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:17 am 
The Commish

No and No.

Diaz = $ and with all the damn injuries (in 2014 the UFC lost 16 headliners due to injury, in 2015 they are already at 9), the UFC needs as many headliners as possible.

I'm gonna hope that Silva only took the steroids for this fight to help train because of the nasty leg injury. If it turns out he was on his whole career, well...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:19 am 
The Commish

Thrash til' Deth wrote:

Pretty bad-ass for a big metalhead like Barnett to have Bolt Thrower as one of your biggest supporters.

Question is, will he ever fight again? He's doing movies and pro-wrestling in Japan. No word on a UFC return.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:39 am 
Einherjar

DevotedWalnut wrote:
Diaz = $ and with all the damn injuries (in 2014 the UFC lost 16 headliners due to injury, in 2015 they are already at 9), the UFC needs as many headliners as possible.

True. Diaz moving up to MW deepens the talent pool for a division that has been plagued with injuries lately vis-a-vis Chris Weidman. But I do see the UFC penalizing Diaz fairly harshly given it was his third offense.

DevotedWalnut wrote:
I'm gonna hope that Silva only took the steroids for this fight to help train because of the nasty leg injury. If it turns out he was on his whole career, well...

You'd have thought he would have applied for a medical exemption if that was the case. This incident definitely taints his legacy to some degree and will likely affect his marketability moving forward. I still don't put it past White to give him a title shot in light of the Belfort TRT business from last year.

Speaking of which, it's pretty weak of Vitor to pass on an Interim title fight after talking all his noise about being a lion warrior prince, or some such BS. Put up or shut up, Belfort!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:47 pm 
Einherjar

Cro Cop-Gonzaga 2 to headline Fight Night in Krakow, Poland this April. Co-Main is looking like Jimi Manuwa vs Jon Blachowicz. To my knowledge, this is the first UFC event to be held in Poland. Surprised they didn't push for Croatia though, or maybe they couldn't get a deal done there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:09 pm 
Einherjar

In the past two weeks, UFC welterweight Hector Lombard and WSOF welterweight Jon Fitch have both tested positive for PEDs. Lombard has been fined and suspended by the UFC and his upcoming fight with Rory Mac has been cancelled. Fitch's punishment is still forthcoming. This is starting to turn into the Tour de France. :lame:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:46 pm 
Ist Krieg

Thrash til' Deth wrote:
In the past two weeks, UFC welterweight Hector Lombard and WSOF welterweight Jon Fitch have both tested positive for PEDs. Lombard has been fined and suspended by the UFC and his upcoming fight with Rory Mac has been cancelled. Fitch's punishment is still forthcoming. This is starting to turn into the Tour de France. :lame:

Yeah, but I'm all about it. I would rather they go through a year or two culling steroids out of the league rather than half ass test for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:17 am 
The Commish

Everybody keeps saying that it's going to get much much worse before it gets any better. Joe Rogan is saying that anywhere from 50-60% of pro-fighters are on PEDs. The UFC, Dana and Lorenzo, will be holding a meeting/press conference on the 17th or 18th to talk about how they will be dealing with all these positive tests.

Anderson Silva failed a second test. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Yoel Romero, Gleison Tibau, any older fighter, will get popped here in the upcoming weeks.

But on good news, Frankie Edgar vs Urijah Faber to headline the UFCs first ever event in the Philippines. Faber returning to 145 lbs for the scrap. And Fight Night 60 is Saturday night. Hopefully all tests come back clean from it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:34 am 
Einherjar

Good story on the life and passing of journeyman HW Bryan Vetell. Nice to read an MMA article that isn't click-bait or steroid related.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/02/requiem-for-a-heavyweight-looking-back-at-bryan-vetell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:49 pm 
Ist Krieg

Throwing money into testing all fighters. And Rory Macdonald getting the title shot against Lawler on the same night as Aldo-McGregor. That is a stacked bill.

Next weekend: Rousey, Holm, Ellenberger, Jouban, Tibau.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 am 
Einherjar

traptunderice wrote:
And Rory Macdonald getting the title shot against Lawler on the same night as Aldo-McGregor. That is a stacked bill.

Next weekend: Rousey, Holm, Ellenberger, Jouban, Tibau.

The Bones-Rumble event is also jam-packed wtih great fights. MW title bout between Belfort and Weidman (finally!), Cowboy-Khabib, Arlovski-Browne and Benavidez-Moraga. Also, two solid Fight Night events coming up in May with Mark Hunt vs Stipe Miocic in Australia and Urijah Faber vs Frankie Edgar in the Phillipines.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next