Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544   
 Post subject: Re: Films watched recently... (CAUTION, SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:07 am 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
John Wick 4 - how do they keep the quality levels up? Not been disappointed by one of these... Fantastic action (the Paris traffic and top-down scenes especially) and great supporting cast - Donnie Yen the highlight, and Rina Sawayama very good in her debut. Rip Lance Reddick.

Chapter 4 was a hell of a good time personal nitpicks aside. The action was, of course, a beautiful spectacle. Each new film raises the bar another rung for fight choreography. Man, Keanu Reeves is a trooper!! New characters were a hit for the most part although I could have lived without Mr. Nobody. Nothing about his arc really added much to the central storyline other than providing another potential spin-off to the Wick-verse. There are certainly more ripe storylines to be explored within the film, especially the Wick/Osaka connection. Fingers crossed the original cut makes to it Blu-Ray and we can see the director's complete vision.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:19 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Mr Nobody did seem a little underdeveloped (what was he saving up for? Greed? I was expecting a reveal there) and possibly as though he was only there for the dog scenes, which are a (welcome) necessity in the franchise at this point! Not sure how enthralled I am about the possibilities of endless spin-offs, but yes, there is at least room for exploration there...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:01 am 
Ist Krieg

I've loved seeing three movies this year.
Paper Moon 1973 Peter Bogdanovich--Small time con artist Father/Daughter team cross the American heartland during the depression. Maybe the best child acting I've ever seen.
Mona Lisa 1986 Neil Jordan--Bob Hoskins could humanize gangsters more than any actor. Utterly irreplaceable.
Jackie Brown 1997 QT--Between this and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, have I completely changed my opinion of Tarantino? Not quite, I prefer these as the most subdued of his scripts, and Jackie Brown even manages to forget the violence. Coming off such a huge hit, his willingness to cast Pam Grier and Robert Forster as his romantic leads out of obscurity was admirable, and they both gave incredible performances.
Blow Out, Brazil, and Escape from New York were three more movies I enjoyed this year, as I continue to fill in the gaps from the 80s.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:40 pm 
Einherjar

Oppenheimer was excellent as advertised. Top notch cast, rich and accurate (for the most part) storytelling and solid pacing for a 3+ hour film. Nolan did a tremendous job of maintaining tension throughout the film mirroring the dread and anxiety of the war and post-war years in America. I forgot how dirty the US government did JRO after the war. Thank you for your service indeed. The highlight was definitely the buildup to the test bomb detonation at Los Alamos. People were holding their breath in the theater. One downside was, and still is, Nolan's insistence on booming sound and no ADR on the actors' dialogue. Not terribly distracting but still an annoyance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:27 pm 
Metal King

Fantastic. Just a few years away from the first Godfather. The days when movies were of substance, lightheartedness and meaningfulness without extravagant explosions, cars rolling off each other and subpar acting.

Taught By The Heav'nly Muse To Venture Down
The Dark Descent, And Up To Reascend...

The Great English Poet: John Milton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:18 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Never a huge Muppet-ite but this was a delight. Michael Caine takes it all very seriously and puts in a hell of a performance, whilst the songs and jokes all go down well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:18 pm 
Einherjar

^^ Dickens' classic was perfected on that adaptation and I won't hear any different.

Not simply a great G-movie, but a tremendous film in general. Go see it in theaters while you can.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544