Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543   
 Post subject: Re: Films watched recently... (CAUTION, SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 am 
Metal King

This was a great series, one of the best sports docs I've ever watched. Excellent insight into the culture and politics of an elite franchise with a wonderful cast of characters that are never less than engaging. You have Michael Jordan, the psycho competitive task master who never forgot a slight; Scottie Pippen, the quiet and under valued second wheel who was no less important than MJ; Dennis Rodman, a basket case with the mind of a basketball savant; Phil Jackson, as much life coach as basketball coach who somehow got them all to work together to achieve greatness beyond themselves. Perpetual role player Steve Kerr's backstory was really interesting as well. I won't spoil it, but he and Michael shared a tragic commonality that I was unaware of before watching the doc. Non-basketball watchers have complained about the narrative format being hard to follow, but I thought the filmmakers did a stellar job developing the storyline where a casual could follow along just fine. Believe the hype on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:29 am 
Ist Krieg

I need to watch that sometime Thrash. I used to love playing basketball. MJ was a huge inspiration for me growing up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:50 pm 
Metal King

huskerc7 wrote:
I need to watch that sometime Thrash. I used to love playing basketball. MJ was a huge inspiration for me growing up.

I was a Run TMC kid. Chris Mullin was my dude. Like Jordan's Bulls, another great core that was broken up too soon. The NBA Playoffs were "must see" TV back in the day, especially the Eastern Conference. Those teams went to war on the court. I thought this doc developed MJ's competitive pathology to winning in that hostile environment incredibly well. Jordan was out of line from time to time, but after the hell he went through with New York, Indiana and especially Detroit, people can better understand the type of mentality it took to beat those great teams.

I miss liking basketball too, husker. The new generation of guys don't jive with me. The pride & competitive edge isn't the same. Guys like Jordan, Bird and Magic wanted to beat you on their own terms, while the new guys want to stack the deck and all play together against lesser competition. Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder to go play with the team that beat him in the previous year's playoffs is all time weak. The old guard would have never done that shit. The game totally died for me when Kobe and Duncan retired. Oh, well. There's always ESPN Classic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:16 am 
Metal King

How do you say "badass" in Japanese? :dio:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:08 pm 
Metal King

A solid little thriller that went virtually unnoticed when it dropped in 2017. Music is a bit odd and out of place in some scenes and the ending feels a bit abrupt, but overall a welcome departure for "nice guy" Jackie. Well into his 60's now (god, where has the time gone!), Chan shows he still has more than a little gas left in the tank. A solid turn from Brosnan as well. Worth a watch, if you like these kinds of flicks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543