Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

Post subject: Nero
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 pm 
Ist Krieg

Fuck haters. I kinda just want to chat with ebd about these folks. They totally don't do anything groundbreaking in terms of electro/dubstep music, but they do it rather well and have a solid knack at writing great pop hooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzyKSyLavUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZMfhtKa-wo

It only came up last night because the show Misfits which usually has really great house music resorted to basically playing Nero tracks all night. Although, it was at a house party playing off a cd player which now makes sense in the context. Earlier, a great music moment that the show had was in a cargo container rave, but in that situation I guess a dj would play better tracks than your generic apartment party.

And I also prefer the Skrillex remix of Promises to the original which kinda sucks because it's awkward admitting to approving of Skrillex.

Post subject: Re: Nero
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:19 pm 
Ist Krieg

"And I also prefer the Skrillex remix of Promises to the original which kinda sucks because it's awkward admitting to approving of Skrillex." :lol: :lol:

I prefer the original track...100% less Skrillex.

In addition to the Misfits show playing Doomsday, Doomsday was featured as the trailer song for the widely popular video game, Borderlands 2. Initially I sort of despised it but something made me keep listening to it, then I found their symphonic track 2808 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JAxgFe4hpE and while it wasn't perfect, I really appreciated the attempt and effort behind it.

I think I've heard all of Welcome Reality, think it is a pretty mixed bag: Doomsday, Promises, Scorpions, Departure being my favorites while stuff like Crush on You and Innocence irritate me like any other popular dubsteb. Yeah, they can be good at pop hooks, and their singer Alana Watson is perfect for making this music more marketable to a wider audience.

And yeah, I don't have fond club memories attached to this stuff like you do, but somehow I found about this band, as even sometimes I look for non-metal things to listen to, explaining my recent excursion to Dave Matthews Band, for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:26 am 
Ist Krieg

On listening to it again, I prefer the non-Skrillex Promises. The boozing and dancing had distorted my nostalgia-laden judgment of it. Funnily enough, the girl I always went dancing with actually hates this music and just told me now a year later after I had only gone week in, week out to hang out with her. How silly.

I need to give Scorpions and Departure more listens apparently, because they never stood out to me. I was always playing Doomsday and Guilt on repeat. And I even kinda like Crush on You albeit a cover. They do something fun with it.

You may or may not like Burial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC16FJTI6XM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 am 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
On listening to it again, I prefer the non-Skrillex Promises. The boozing and dancing had distorted my nostalgia-laden judgment of it. Funnily enough, the girl I always went dancing with actually hates this music and just told me now a year later after I had only gone week in, week out to hang out with her. How silly.

I need to give Scorpions and Departure more listens apparently, because they never stood out to me. I was always playing Doomsday and Guilt on repeat. And I even kinda like Crush on You albeit a cover. They do something fun with it.

Yeah, more Guilt, less Departure now that I think about it. Glad you are going with the non-Skrillex Promises now, Promises is basically the one pop song I loved in the last 5-10 years. Maybe it was the video of the track, which is vaguely 1984 and actually enhances the impact of the music, unlike 99.9% of videos...

Crush on You I can appreciate on one level, just find the cutesy over the top. And thanks for this Burial track, I like it, just not sure how much yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 am 
Ist Krieg

North From Here wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

Yeah, more Guilt, less Departure now that I think about it. Glad you are going with the non-Skrillex Promises now, Promises is basically the one pop song I loved in the last 5-10 years. Maybe it was the video of the track, which is vaguely 1984 and actually enhances the impact of the music, unlike 99.9% of videos...

Crush on You I can appreciate on one level, just find the cutesy over the top. And thanks for this Burial track, I like it, just not sure how much yet.
I have always avoided the Promises video because it just looks so over the top and cheesy. I can't pull the trigger on it. And Crush on You is super cutesy. And its music video is actually hilarious in its campy vibe. There is always the feeling that this band and genre is too formulaic, more so than pop music in terms of builds and drops. But I really dig it regardless.

I am just now checking out Burial. Idk how I feel about it either. It's good study music thus far in my assessment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
There is always the feeling that this band and genre is too formulaic, more so than pop music in terms of builds and drops. But I really dig it regardless.

Yeah, I've no doubt I won't interested in this stuff forever, but it isn't metal/prog/gloomy classical, and I need a break from all that crap. If you listen to Nero again, I've really been digging "My Eyes".